Job title: Sales Assistant – Part Time 16hrs
Responsible to: Retail Manager & Deputy Retail Manager
Department: Abbey Road Store
Location of work: 3 Abbey Road, London, NW8 9AY
Music is Universal
It’s the passionate and dedicated team at Universal Music UK who help make us Britain’s leading music company. From A&R to finance, legal to digital, sales to marketing, Universal Music is the place to grow and develop your career within a truly commercial and innovative business that leads in everything it does.
Everyone is welcome to apply for our roles, and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment because of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief, age, marital status, background, pregnancy or caring responsibilities. We also recognise the importance of diversity of thought within our teams and are fully committed to embracing the talents of people with autism, dyslexia, ADHD and other forms of neurocognitive variation.
We will always seek to make appropriate adjustments to recruitment, workplaces, and work processes to be fully inclusive to people with different needs and working styles. If you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for you from application onwards, including alternatives to the online form or to disclose a neurocognitive condition, please email [email protected]
The A Side: A Day in The Life
Abbey Road Studios is a market leader with a global reputation and is no doubt the most famous recording studio complex in the world. The Studios are a pilgrimage for music fans globally and a major tourist attraction in the capital. Abbey Road Store gives visitors an idea of what it is like inside the actual Studios and sells a range of high-quality merchandise from Vinyl LPs and Beatles memorabilia to Abbey Road Studios’ own product range. The Sales Assistant role is a tremendous opportunity to join this world-renowned organisation and play a key role in promoting this iconic brand. It also offers the music lover the opportunity to curate the whole customer experience and provide international fans and pilgrims with a unique insight into The Studios, past, present and future.
The B Side: Skills & Experience
Be a sales representative
- Help and advise customers to select products from within the range to suit their needs.
- Drive sales by highlighting the features and benefits of products on sale within the store.
- Seek to add on and link sales, increasing ATV by highlighting combinations and options within the product range.
- Understand daily, weekly & monthly sales targets and strive to over-achieve these.
Be customer and brand focused
- Demonstrate real passion for the Studios, communicating in depth knowledge of the Studios’ past, present and future and how this relates to the retail range – not only to build sales but also to provide a unique customer experience (which will have the added benefit of encouraging visitors to make repeat visits to the store or website and to spread the word)
- Manage the inevitable peaks and troughs of customer flow through staffing and crowd management as identified in the Retail Operations Manual
- Identify opportunities to enhance customer service, including building a customer database and exploring added value services
- Deliver strong customer service to enhance the visitor experience and encourage linked sales
- Ensure retail spaces are presented and merchandised to a high standard at all times and that standards are defined and maintained to reflect the brand and the commercial strategy and to promote sales growth.
- Ensure that the visual merchandising, POS, layout and arrangement of the shop is continually evaluated and improved in order to maximise profit by monitoring sales against different arrangements and adapting layouts accordingly.
- Support daily opening, closing, and reporting procedures
- Help coordinate store displays and special promotions
- Process cash and card transactions using the EPOS system, in accordance with the cash handling procedures
- Capture customer details, through store POS system. Build and maintain the customer database
- Keep shop merchandise in stock, organised, and displayed appropriately
- Help to receive and price store inventory, prepare and process online, telephone, and mail orders for store merchandise
- Liaise with Warehousing to ensure stock deliveries are processed promptly, stored methodically and delivered to the shop as necessary
- Undertake other duties that may be necessary from time to time that are appropriate to the role, within the competence of the role holder and commensurate with the post
- Be aware of and comply with all relevant Trading Standards requirements.
- Comply with the company’s health and safety regulations and procedures, as they relate to the shop (and associated areas) at all times.
- Assist in the evacuation of the shop in the event of a fire, security alert or other emergency in accordance with stated procedures. Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of emergency procedures.
- Maintain vigilance at all times to ensure the safety and security of property (the building, cash and stock) and the safety of the public.
- Passionate about music and Abbey Road’s history and heritage.
- A strong track record in retail – especially achieving sales targets and customer service.
- Strong visual merchandising skills and high vm standards.
- Significant customer-facing retail experience, including cash handling and use of EPOS systems.
Just So You Know…
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be seen as indicative and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement.