General Manager – Universal Music Nigeria
Job title: General Manager – Universal Music Nigeria
Responsible to: CEO, Universal Music SA & Sub-Saharan Africa
Location of work: Lagos, Nigeria
Main purpose of role
The primary focus is to provide leadership and guidance to the team within Nigeria & Ghana overseeing the growth, development, and ultimate success within this area during a period of high opportunity for the entertainment industry. Of additional key importance is the opportunity to drive and market local talent internationally through collaboration and partnership with the wider group.
Key performance areas
- Credible & reliable brand
- Develop & execute an impactful Rebrand PR Strategy
- Rebuild and manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Strategic position for long term success
- To lead and guide the management team and staff to drive revenue, and wherever possible, total market growth
- Diversify the business opportunities (Brand deals and Live/Events)
- Develop local talent for domestic, regional, and global success
- increase local talent roster using innovative and aggressive strategies that resonate effectively in each relevant market
- Develop and carry through initiatives for local talent, both locally and internationally
- Increase market share both through encouraging short-term value add initiatives and importantly, strategic commercial / Digital planning across the region
- Drive regional success through encouraging and facilitating collaboration between regional Marketing / New business / commercial teams and their global colleagues where applicable
- Devise a relevant and impactful D2C strategy for Nigeria
- Provide expertise and assistance with regional / territory specific partner management to augment the efforts of the local teams.
- Critical participation in building local infrastructure
- Participation in local industry bodies
- Relationship management with public and private sector stakeholders
- Break Artists
- Break international artist in market
- Break local artist internationally
- Ensure compliance with all UMG policies and procedures.
- Develop skills of management team through mentoring and coaching.
- Be prepared to adapt job, role, and requirements to suit an ever-changing music landscape.
Essential / Strongly Preferred
- Established & extensive network within the media/entertainment industry.
- Strong track record in organisational / operational management
- Highly experienced strategic executive, proven track record of implementing highly effective strategic business & marketing partnerships.
- Experience of overseeing brand and branded content creation and working with talent from all caveats of the entertainment industry.
- Prior demonstrable experience of operational leadership and people management within a growth business.
- Experience of running innovative marketing campaigns (with success at incorporating digital activity), breaking & developing new talent as well as a proven successful track record of working within a large media/entertainment organisation.
- Experience of effectively managing budgets to minimise financial spend within projects and maximising profits.
- Experience of leading the creation of videos and other additional content, including briefing creative agencies.
- Excellent, confident communications skills.
- A creative thinker.
- Ability to challenge conformist thinking within a rapidly changing and evolving marketplace.
- Solid and proven commercial acumen.
- Excellent people-management skills.
- The ability to delegate, advise and encourage.
- A recognised team player – trustworthy, reliable, confident, in addition, a recognised innovator.
- Focussed on deadlines and targets.
- Ability to work under pressure.
Diversity and inclusion
Universal Music is an equal opportunities employer and committed to the principle of diversity.
The company presents this job description as a guide to the major areas and duties for which the jobholder is accountable. However, the business operates in an environment that demands change and the jobholder's specific responsibilities and activities will vary and develop. Therefore, the job description should be indicative and not as a permanent, definitive, and exhaustive statement.