Catalog A&R Manager
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) is the centralized U.S. catalog entity for the Universal Music Group. Working closely in concert with all of the company’s record labels, UMe provides a frontline approach to catalog management, a greater emphasis on strategic marketing initiatives and opportunities in new and emerging technologies. We manage a diverse and expansive catalog spanning the entire history of recorded music and nearly every genre of music from such renowned record labels as Capitol, Interscope, Def Jam, Geffen, A&M, Motown, Island, and Virgin. The UMe catalog roster includes many of the most iconic and legendary artists of all time, including The Beatles, Bob Marley, The Rolling Stones, Eminem, Stevie Wonder, Nirvana, and Kanye West.
UMe is seeking a creative music enthusiast with A&R experience, catalog music knowledge, and strong music business background to join our catalog A&R team as the Manager of A&R. This role reports to the VP, A&R and is based in Santa Monica, CA.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Identify creative opportunities for commercial exploitation from the Universal Music Group catalog across all artists and genres
- Manage & coordinate full A&R lifecycle, from research to recording/production process to release
- Oversee and be accountable for project expenditures & budgets
- Manage an artist’s portfolio of presence in streaming across audio and video
- Assist VP A&R on Artist projects
Bring your VIBE:
- 3+ years’ experience in the music business, preferably with catalog/heritage music and knowledge of recording methods and technology
- Knowledge and experience in digital/streaming formats & platforms including playlist compilations, programming, and content curation
- Experience successfully managing A&R and budget process for a product release from origination to product completion
- Proven track record initiating, originating, managing and successfully completing all relevant aspects of recorded music releases and projects
- Must be current on today’s music industry environment including streaming/digital platforms
- Creative mindset with catalog knowledge across a wide range of music genres and artists
- Ability to multi-task, ensure meticulous attention to detail, prioritize and work well under pressure & deadlines in a fast-paced, high volume environment
- Work well independently, take initiative, identify potential issues & successfully problem-solve with sound business deliverables
- Effectively optimize processes and efficiencies, and manage budgets
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PPT), along with high aptitude for learning new software programs.
- Bachelor’s degree required in music, marketing, communication, business, or related major preferred
What’s in it For You?
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.