People Business Partner Manager
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Our People, Inclusion & Culture team is growing at UMG! We are currently seeking a Manager, Human Resources (also known as our Manager, People Business Partner), to provide generalist support across several business units and labels. The role is critical in executing our people initiatives, assisting with employee-relations inquiries, providing great internal client support, and driving HR functional excellence, compliance, and process improvement for the business. The Manager, Human Resources will interpret and advise on policy and procedure, as well as consult on staffing, compensation, employee relations, performance management, talent development and employee programs.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Expand HR presence, be visible to employees across multiple business units; answer general employee questions on a day-to-day basis
- Builds, develops, and maintains strong collaborative, consultative working relationships across multiple business units
- Exceptional communication skills: keeps dedicated HR Business Partners informed on the state of morale, employee issues, culture, performance, etc., to drive engagement and retention
- Develops an understanding of various business units – departments, jobs, structure, processes, and financials
- Guides leaders on effective performance management and assessing performance
- Facilitates effective onboarding and exit processes
- Facilitates salary/bonus planning processes
- Plans and manages program rollouts with internal specialist partners including, learning and organizational development, comp and benefits, recruiting, diversity, etc.
- Manages a process-driven workload and transactional responsibilities including partnering with HRIS/payroll/timekeeping
- Works with businesses on engagement strategy and action planning
- Coordinates and manages HR communication, including employee events.
- Analyzes employment trends and shares with the broader HR team and management
- Ensures State and Federal employment compliance with actions, education, and policies
- Facilitate employee and manager trainings on HR topics
- Partner with the VP of Employee Relations to assist with investigations for employment-related concerns; provide counseling and coaching to managers and employees, and facilitate conflict resolution as needed
- Duties and responsibilities subject to change and may include additional responsibilities based on business needs
Bring your VIBE:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in a relevant field with HR related coursework
- Minimum 5-6 years of prior Human Resources Generalist experience
- Understanding of, and experience with, all core areas of Human Resource Management (recruiting; employee relations; performance management, compensation, compliance)
- Must have experience with investigations including risk and coaching/guiding leadership in these matters
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to analyze, interpret and effectively present data (engagement, compensation and other people-related metrics)
- Exercise a high degree of professionalism and diplomacy in interactions with all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated skill in handling a variety of employee relations matters
- Excellent follow-through skills and the ability to anticipate and address business needs proactively
- Possess a strong work ethic; self-motivated with a desire to take initiative and look for ways to improve processes and create efficiencies
- Highly adaptable to a fluid and ever-changing, fast-paced work environment, ability to flex style based on diverse teams of varying support needs
- Maintains strict confidentiality and adheres to a high standard of professional conduct
- Experience practicing HR in a creative industry (music, fashion, television, hospitality, advertising, etc.) is a plus
- HRIS experience, Workday experience a plus
- Strong knowledge of federal, state, and local employment laws
- Ability to travel to other offices/states as needed
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint). Visio and/or Org Plus experience a plus
- Comfort with facilitating meetings, processes, critical conversations, town halls, etc.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.