Senior Manager, Marketing
Based at the iconic Capitol Tower in the heart of Hollywood, Capitol Music Group is home to some of the best-known labels in modern music; encompassing the jazz icons of Blue Note, Capitol’s generations of pop stars, and the legendary recording of Motown to name but a few. We produce, distribute and promote some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music in the industry. This role is a fantastic opportunity to join an organization on the cutting edge of the modern music business and, as part of Universal Music Group, a chance to be part of the world’s leading Music Company.
Blue Note Records is home to the finest in American Jazz since 1939 with some of the best leading artists: Horace Silver, Jimmy Smith, Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan, Art Blakey, Grant Green, Hank Mobley, Wayne Shorter, Bobby Hutcherson, and Jackie McLean. We are currently seeking a Senior Manager, Marketing who will oversee and direct all aspects of day-to-day marketing and will partner with our label head/managers/artists to develop marketing campaigns that strategize the best course to market for their releases.
- Create and implement full release strategies for artist projects, presenting the artist’s vision and driving commercial results
- Attend planning and scheduling meetings as required
- Ensure the timely delivery of all tools (digital, video, photos, promotional materials)
- Review marketing plans from the international markets on priority releases and respond accordingly
- Coordinate & manage global catalog marketing campaigns utilizing editorial, social & d2c opportunities and being aware of new opportunities afforded by emerging technology
- Manage artists’ schedules and promotional activities on releases
- General problem solving for domestic and international affiliates for all aspects of releases entailing communication with Legal, Supply Chain, Digital, Sales, Licensing, etc.
- Forge strong working relationships with Artist Management, Marketing colleagues and A&R Departments across Capitol
- Ensure that budgets are adhered to on marketing campaigns
- Ensure all necessary shared documentation is kept up-to-date. This will include ensuring start memos and product notifications are completed for releases and the USM release schedule is kept fully up-to-date
- Establish appropriate communication channels within the priorities team and the company to ensure relevant information/knowledge is shared
- Maintain strong working relationships with Capitol departments and all territories
- Monitor projects and provide regular detailed written reports as determined by the VP
- Constantly review real-time data and draw actionable conclusions to reach goals, managing fluid marketing plans and pivoting as necessary
- Develop and execute digital marketing strategy for each artist including social media, website & advertising, while also leading asset creation for those properties
- Direct indie service providers and oversee their performance – including designers, publicists, videographers, photographers and radio personnel
- Copywriting for the label’s print advertisements and marketing materials
- Ability to forge excellent internal communication with team members and able to build excellent professional working relationships
- Must be tech savvy with deep understanding of current & forthcoming technologies and general market trends
- Candidates should be creative, innovative, detail-oriented and resourceful.
- Must be able to prioritize and multi-task
- Build and manage project budgets
- Experience of working, influencing and persuading at all levels of an organization (upwards and downwards)
- Comfortable using data & insights to help inform decision making
- Knowledge of the domestic, international and digital marketplaces and how they are evolving
- Positive, proactive and pragmatic approach to any situation. Able to deal with problems as they may arise
- Strong presentation and written/verbal communication skills
- Prepared to travel as required
- Must have strong music industry relationships
- Experience strategizing and executing marketing campaigns (please be prepared to provide examples of or discuss campaigns you've worked on)
- Existing relationships with labels, brands and existing contacts at digital platforms
- Advanced level artist relations experience
- 4+years experience in music industry marketing
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.