Universal Music Group (UMG) currently has an opening for a Royalty Audit Accountant position within its Royalty Audit Services division, reporting to a Senior Director. This position supports the Profit Split(P/S)/JV and Pressing-and-Distribution deal (P&D) Audit Team within the Royalty Audit Department. The ideal candidate will have 1 to 2 years of front line general ledger and/or public audit experience and possess a bachelor’s degree in Accounting; a CPA is a plus.
We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague with a dedicated work ethic and a sharp mind, interested in learning in a role that requires creative problem-solving skills and outside-the-box thinking.
In this role, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to participate in responding to Audits of joint venture and P&D deals, conducted by outside auditors on behalf of third-party partners. Job duties include primary responsibility for:
- Assisting in responding to audit requests from outside auditors (typically in response to a list of analyses requested, to support line items on PS/P&D statements).
- Retrieval of backup support (images of invoices, etc.) from archive systems within UMG.
- Tie out of support, for Director review, prior to presentation to auditors.
- Supporting special project and process improvement initiatives.
- Discretion in handling and discussing data and findings.
- Ability to read and understand contracts, and interpret provisions into accounting implications.
- Preparation of ad hoc financial schedules and analyses in response to audits and claim letters, at the direction of UMG management, in cases where an alternative approach is required to prove UMG’s position relative to a claim.
- Strong Excel & Word skills; Access experience a plus
- Exposure to contracts and ability to digest long documents into key-terms summaries.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Able to handle multiple assignments, meet deadlines and think analytically and in terms of ‘big picture’ and ‘outside the box’ concepts.
- Authorized to work in the US
- 1-2 or more of broad general ledger accounting or corporate reporting experience, or experience with profit split reporting.
- Experience with JD Edwards or similar mainframe General Ledger application such as Lawson or SAP; SAP experience strongly preferred.
- Music or Entertainment industry experience (and familiarity with industry concepts & terminology) is a plus.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting; CPA preferred
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.