Vice President, Customer Activation & Retention, UMG eCommerce
Title: VP, Customer Activation & Retention, UMG eCommerce
Location: Philadelphia // SMO // NYC
We are UMG, Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Merchandise and commerce is becoming part of the fabric of music culture. For artists, it’s a way to develop and further articulate their brand. For fans, it’s another pathway to connecting with an artist and the culture they represent.
UMG eCommerce is looking for a VP to lead customer activation & retention efforts across UMG’s eCommerce stores. This role will lead the eCommerce customer activation & retention team, leveraging analytics and machine learning capabilities to drive customer growth & retention across the roster. The VP will work in close alignment with our partners across UMG (Label Marketing, Global Consumer Marketing, IT, etc.) to elevate UMG’s eCommerce experiences for our labels & rights owners, artists, and—most importantly—their fans.
Candidates must have a proven track record of driving eCommerce growth, with deep expertise in eCommerce and the consumer journey across channels. Experience leading teams and nurturing talent is a must. Love for music is a must, but experience in the music industry is not required.
How you’ll CREATE (job functions):
- Lead eCommerce customer activation & retention initiatives for UMG eCommerce
- Directly oversee our customer activation & retention teams, cultivating a data-driven & service-first mindset. Foster a culture of collaboration, experimentation, and continuous growth.
- Drive eCommerce cohesion and alignment with Label Marketing and Global Consumer Marketing teams (insights, media, CRM, etc.) across campaigns and team functions.
- Work with key partners across the org to develop and oversee the application of eCommerce Customer Activation & Retention SOPs across disciplines, including paid, CRM, SEO/SEM, social & influencer, affiliate, loyalty & rewards.
- Oversee data-driven optimizations to eCommerce customer journeys and storefront experiences, working with the UMG Global Audience, IT & platform teams to scale learnings across programs.
- Strategically leverage the use of non-commercial content (e.g. editorial, video content) on our stores to drive customer activation initiatives.
- Lead the practical application of machine learning and advanced analytics capabilities into UMG’s standard practices for eCommerce customer activation & retention.
- Lead development of new customer activation capabilities & service offerings, ensuring label, rights owner, and artist needs are appropriately prioritized.
- Provide critical feedback to inform the broader eCommerce platform & capabilities roadmap, including integration of third-party martech solutions.
- Ensure eComm customer activation & retention team output consistently meets or surpasses artist and label expectations across service areas.
- Oversee day-to-day operations and resource planning across eCommerce customer activation & retention functions.
- Lead recruitment strategies to identify and attract key eCommerce customer activation & retention talent to our team.
Bring your VIBE (experience & skill requirements):
- 8-10+ years experience working in eCommerce growth or related field
- 5+ years of executive experience leading teams
- Proven track record of driving successful eCommerce growth & customer retention programs
- Deep understanding of eCommerce trends and emerging technologies
- Expertise in the application of AI and machine learning capabilities to eCommerce programs
- Deep understanding of the martech landscape, specifically as it relates to eCommerce
- High level of comfort navigating large organizational dynamics; proven success driving projects forward in a complex corporate structure is strongly preferred
- Excellent communication skills. Must be extremely effective at clearly communicating eCommerce analytics & consumer engagement concepts to diverse audiences ranging from artists to label executives.
- Flexible and adaptive; ability to quickly and calmly react to changing client needs and deadlines, both internal and external
- Must have a service mindset; experience in client or central services is a major plus
- Natural collaborator. Must be willing to set ego aside for the good of the team and our artists and labels.
- Adept problem solver; ability to come up with inventive solutions on the fly.
- Experience in the entertainment industry preferred, but not required
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!