Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs (IP, Licensing, Likeness)
We are UMG, Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
Extensive negotiation and drafting of agreements relating to the acquisition and exploitation of intellectual property rights:
- Negotiating and documenting recording agreements, merchandise, fan club, and collateral entertainment activities agreements, label deals, and P&D agreements
- Responsible for managing ongoing contractual relationships and handling all business affairs aspects for a substantial roster of artists, including high profile legacy artists
- Rendering general business and legal advice to all departments within the company
- Reviewing and approving royalty statements
- Analyzing and negotiating audit settlements
- Working with the financial department to prepare P&Ls and sales analysis
- Reviewing and clearing visual content for commercial exploitation
- Working with the Commerce, & Strategy department to clear rights and to enter into agreements with third party services
- Trademark and copyright protection and management of claims and litigation
- Other general legal research, particularly related to intellectual property rights
- Working with UMG's General Counsel and other corporate attorneys on various legal matters (settlement agreements, misc. litigation, etc.)
- Manage, coach, and develop more junior attorneys
- Such other duties as reasonably may be required
- Excellent drafting/writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, within a team-oriented environment
- A commitment to learning and excellence
- Prior experience working for a law firm or corporate experience negotiating and drafting agreements - preferably in connection with the acquisition and distribution of intellectual property rights
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience working for a record label, media/entertainment company, or licensing agency is required
- J.D, plus admission to the California and/or New York state bars
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.