Director, Business & Legal Affairs (Technology)
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Universal Music Groups seeks a highly qualified attorney for the position of Director in its Business & Legal Affairs department. Reporting to the VP of Business & Legal Affairs in New York, this key resource will work closely with corporate/label executives, business unit leaders, and internal/external counsel to provide strategic and targeted legal advice, counsel, and representation in connection with the negotiation, drafting and management of agreements for a broad range of technology-related commercial transactions across UMG’s global footprint.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Subject matter expertise required in information technology, intellectual property, direct-to-consumer/e-commerce, physical/digital supply chain, and general transactional corporate law as relating specifically to the requirements of a global major recorded music and media corporation.
- Experience drafting and negotiating the following commercial transactions/agreement types is required (not inclusive):
- Master/Main service agreements, SOWs, software licensing (including term-based and perpetual models, plus support/maintenance/service levels); cloud-based subscription models (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, etc.); software/mobile app development; general related transactions (including non-disclosures, extensions/renewals, terminations, amendments, etc.); telecom/network and outsourcing services, compliance, data privacy, information security, insurance, and other various IP-related deals (including joint ventures, IP ownership, profit sharing deals, releases, litigation-related support, etc.);
- E-commerce/D2C models (including platform deals, as well as all ancillary services, including physical product and digital merch manufacturing/distribution, warehousing, fulfilment, payment processing/shipping/logistics, etc.)
- Social media and physical print/digital advertising/marketing, and other related industry agreements including influencer agreements; working knowledge of consumer protection guidelines a definite plus.
- Ability to conduct both legal and business-based risk assessments, and effectively communicate guidance to key stakeholders.
- Working knowledge of technology-specific music business and distribution models
Bring your VIBE:
- Minimum of 2-4 years in-house experience at a major record label, software/media company and/or comparable law firm experience; This is not an entry-level position.
- Strong preference is for a lawyer with current/significant experience handling a high-volume workload with strong, working knowledge of the commercial/enterprise IT/technology/D2C-ecommerce space
- J.D. required
- Member of the New York or California bar in good standing
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.