Please note, this position is located in Charlotte, NC.
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute, and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How you’ll LEAD:
As a Data Engineer, you will be a member of the data management and platform operations team. You’ll work in a collaborative Agile environment using the latest in engineering best practices with involvement in all aspects of the software development lifecycle. You will be responsible for designing & developing curated data products, applying standard architectural practices. You will primarily develop on Google Cloud Platform and other technologies such as BigQuery, Airflow, Python, SQL, Linux, Docker, Kubernetes.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Develop and maintain databases, datasets, pipelines and UMG's Customer Data Platform (CDP) to enable advanced segmentation, targeting, automation and analytics.
- Gather and understand data requirements, build complex data pipelines, and work to achieve high quality data ingestion goals.
- Build ETL processes and the creation of applications that can connect to remote APIs. Preferably including streaming data into environments such as BigQuery.
- Build and Deploy Data Pipelines on Google Cloud to enable AI & ML capabilities.
- Drive the development of cloud-based data warehouses & business intelligence platforms.
- Design and creation of data led strategies which provide businesses with opportunities to leverage their data for greater insight or performance.
- Proactively suggest, plan, and integrate new tools and methods to improve productivity, efficiency and reduce costs
Bring your VIBE:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or related field
- 7+ years experience as a data warehouse engineer/architect designing and deploying data systems in a startup environment
- Mastery of database and data warehouse methodologies and techniques from transactional databases to dimensional data modeling, to wide deformalized data marts
- Deep understanding of SQL-based Big Data systems and experience with modern ETL tools
- Expertise in designing data warehouses using Google Big Query, Snowflake, Redshift, etc.
- Experience developing data pipelines in Python
- Firm believer of data driven decision making, and extensive experience developing for high/elastic scalable, 24x7x365 high availability digital marketing or ecommerce systems
- Hands-on experience with data compute, storage, and security components and using Cloud Platform (preferably GCP) provided Big Data technologies
- Hands-on experience with real time streaming processing as well as high volume batch processing, and skilled in Advanced SQL, GCP BigQuery, Apache Kafka, Data-Lakes, etc.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills, have a hunger to learn, and the ability to operate in a self-guided manner in a fast-paced rapidly changing environment
- Hands-on Experience in Big Data technologies - Hadoop, Hive and Spark, and in an enterprise-scale Customer Data Platform (CDP)
- Experience with programming languages (e.g., Python, Java), cloud computing platforms (e.g. AWS, GCP), cloud based data warehouses (e.g. Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery), BI Tools (e.g. Looker, DOMO), scheduling solutions (e.g. Prefect, Airflow)
- Exposure to ML “Machine Learning” concepts
- Experience with data governance and data security
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Winter Break”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.