Senior Director, Business & Legal Affairs
The Universal Music Group (UMG) is the world’s leading music company. UMG is committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. UMG owns and operates a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries.
Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) is the centralized recorded music catalog entity for UMG. Working closely in concert with all of UMG's record labels, UMe provides a global frontline approach to catalog management, a concentration of resources, a greater emphasis on strategic marketing initiatives, and opportunities in new and emerging technologies.
How we LEAD:
UMe is seeking a Senior Director (job title level subject to change based on experience) to join our Business & Legal Affairs team. This position is responsible for a heavy transaction flow in connection with the negotiating and drafting of various entertainment-related agreements, rendering legal advice with respect to the acquisition of content and the marketing and exploitation of recorded music product, and providing support to UMe and UMG attorneys in connection with defenses against, and settlements of, U.S. Copyright Act §203 copyright termination claims brought by UMG recording artists.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Initiate, structure, negotiate and draft agreements for all facets of UMe's operations including catalog purchase agreements, profit share agreements, license agreements, recording agreements, distribution agreements, content creation, new business ventures, merchandise, and strategic marketing.
- Advise members of senior management with respect to various business and legal matters including copyright and trademark laws, contractual rights and obligations, legal claims and clearances, dispute resolution, and corporate compliance matters.
- Work with UMe's Finance Department to prepare financial analyses for new deals.
- Manage critical external relationships with key representatives of catalog artists' teams.
- Coordinate with other UMG legal departments (digital, litigation, etc.) on agreements, policies and legal matters.
- Train and supervise junior members of the Business & Legal Affairs team.
- Research and respond to §203 U.S. copyright termination claims; liaise with UMG litigation, audit, royalties, production and global digital teams to address §203 issues; draft §203 settlement proposals and agreements.
Bring your VIBE
- BA/BS degree, JD, and member in good standing of the California state bar or California registered in-house counsel.
- Minimum 8 years of experience practicing music law preferred.
- Strong law firm or in-house experience/training required. In-depth knowledge of agreements relating to the acquisition, creation, exploitation, marketing and financing of recorded music and video product.
- Strong contract research skills.
- Must be adept at negotiating and drafting acquisition, marketing, and exploitation agreements for recorded music content, and be willing to negotiate and draft agreements outside of previous areas of expertise.
- Knowledge of record company issues and operations.
- Experience with U.S. Copyright Act Section 203 business and legal issues.
- Strong customer/client service skills a must.
- Superior analytical and writing skills and ability, together with strong business and financial acumen.
- Must be able to work under time constraints.
- Ability to multi-task and juggle competing priorities.
- Computer experience: Internet, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Must have excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Highly motivated and with a desire to work in a team environment.
- Ability to keep information confidential.
- Must be willing to work extended hours.
- Must be self-directed and well organized.
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan with company matching
- Flexible Paid Time Off, plus Paid Holidays, 2 week “Winter Break” & Wellness Fridays (year-round)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance & Tuition Reimbursement (after 12 months of service)
- Robust Employee Assistance Program (for you and your loved ones
- Annual Well-Being Allowance which includes Fitness, Travel, Home Enhancements, Nutrition, and Spa Treatment Reimbursements
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of a negative PCR or Antigen test before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change