Director, Business & Legal Affairs (Litigation)
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
We are currently seeking an eager and exceptional litigation attorney to oversee a busy docket of litigation as part of our litigation team. The attorney will be responsible for supervising counsel, providing legal advice and managing risks and litigation budgets for all business units within the Universal Music Group. The position requires experience and skill in, among other things, negotiating, analyzing legal issues, providing practical legal and business advice, as well as a deep understanding of all aspects of the litigation process from claim to resolution.
What Bandmember Are You?
- Manage/handle claims and litigation for Universal Music Group and its operating divisions. Select and liaise with outside counsel in connection with litigations, including managing legal fee budgets, budget forecasts, staffing and case management.
- Coordinate strategy with applicable business units; review and edit briefs, affidavits and discovery responses; negotiate settlements.
- Prepare quarterly litigation summary for senior management.
- Provide advice and counsel to company executives and internal business units.
- Assist management in determining and enforcing company policy regarding legal issues.
- Ensure dissemination of critical legal information to company employees.
- Oversee corporate compliance with contractual and legal obligations.
How You Will Rock Your Role:
- Hands-on knowledge of all phases of litigation and trial process in both state and federal court.
- Intellectual property, copyright expertise or music industry experience highly preferred.
- Familiarity with new technology, DMCA and digital music environment preferred.
- Self-starter who requires minimal supervision.
- Ability to analyze and provide strategic advice on a wide range of legal issues.
- A keen interest in music and the music industry.
- Knowledge/experience with royalty accounting or financial information also preferable.
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skill.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple projects required.
- Qualified candidate with 3+ years litigation experience.
- J.D. member of the California Bar, or qualified to register as an in-house attorney in California.
What’s in it For You?
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer