Director, Business & Legal
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audio-visual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
What Bandmember Are You?
- Structure proposals and negotiate and draft various music-related agreements (initial, intermediate and final versions) including, but not limited to, recording agreements, amendments, label deals, joint ventures, soundtrack agreements, cast albums, TV/film deals, theater deals, consultancies, online promotions, and settlement agreements.
- Provide counsel to internal departments and senior management on day-to-day business and legal issues and strategy.
- Advise marketing, A&R, promotion, finance, and other departments regarding contractual obligations and restrictions.
- Review artwork, label copy, advertising, and other promotional materials/initiatives to advise on legal issues and minimize legal exposure.
- Address concerns and propose solutions while balancing legal considerations with business objectives.
- Analyze and assess potential risks and propose recommended courses of action.
- Respond to requests for information and/or advice from other business units, including contract research and analysis.
- Obtain all necessary management approvals on key terms of agreements.
- Coordinate with other legal departments (digital, litigation, etc) on agreements and legal matters.
How You Will Rock Your Role:
- Minimum of 3 years of legal experience in an entertainment company or related law practice
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in drafting music related agreements
- Law degree from a top-ranked law school with state bar admittance (NY or CA)
- Strong legal background in the areas of the law applicable to the music business (copyright, artist contracts, trademark, licensing, etc.)
- Knowledge of the music industry and digital landscape
- Excellent negotiating, drafting, and communication skills
- General problem-solving skills, organization, and a focus on detail
- Strong interpersonal skills - able to communicate with all levels of management
- Self-starter with ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Financial analysis skills a plus
What’s in it For You?
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.