Universal Music Group is looking for a Data Scientist to join our in-house data research team, working across prediction, machine learning, analysis, workflow optimization and other areas where data and statistical methods can be applied to measurable advantage.
How we LEAD:
The ideal candidate should have a strong passion for music and music discovery, as well as a strong statistical background, with a very good understanding of common machine learning techniques. Candidates should at least be proficient in R or Python, and SQL.
This candidate should also have a demonstrated ability to manage client requests in a professional manner, communicate research and learnings to a variety of different audience types (from Senior Executives down to fellow Analysts), and work in both project teams and in silo to solve interesting problems in a consultative fashion.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Research and develop models/insight to help drive business objectives.
- Develop advanced test and learn approaches around artist and consumption analysis.
- Build/refine/improve new or pre-existing statistical models or processes.
- Advise on artist performance and analytical methods to help guide or inform strategy.
- Preparing data sets for applications such as classification, modelling and clustering.
- Developing new data features that can become invaluable pieces of insight.
- Integrate with external and internal APIs and data sources to augment music consumption data to uncover shifting market trends, new opportunities, operational efficiencies
Bring your VIBE:
- Passion and curiosity for music and the data that is used within the industry
- Proficient in at least one of R and Python.
- Advanced knowledge and experience of writing and tuning SQL
- Ability to query our databases (using platforms such as BigQuery) accurately and efficiently using SQL
- Excellent knowledge of using common Python/R statistical packages such as NumPy, SciPy, Statsmodels, scikit-learn, pandas, ggplot, etc...
- Experience in data mining tools and algorithms, machine learning, and statistics (e.g. regression, decision trees, neural networks, collaborative filtering, clustering, survival analysis, graph theory, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience developing machine learning models (e.g. distributed model training with SparkML, PyTorch, Tensorflow, etc.) to deliver robust predictions and inferences in a production scale environment
- Knowledge or experience of working with Google Cloud Platforms products like BigQuery, Dataflow, Dataproc, Machine Leaning or similar cloud solutions would be desirable
- Importantly being creative and thinking outside the box in the way we tackle and build solutions.
- Capable of tackling very loosely defined problems
- 2+ years of corporate experience (at the PhD level) / 4+ years of corporate experience (at the MS level) working in a data scientist or equivalent role
- Experience managing and engaging with clients in a consultative or analytical capacity.
- Experience working with development teams to productize work.
- Degree in Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or a similarly quantitative degree
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.