Founded in 1984, Def Jam Recordings has represented the cutting-edge in hip-hop music for more than 35 years. Def Jam began as a maverick independent label inspired by downtown New York City’s vibrant street culture and the emerging sound of hip-hop, pioneered by iconic stars like LL Cool J, Slick Rick, The Beastie Boys and Public Enemy. Over the following two decades, Def Jam established its dominance with superstar acts like Jay-Z, DMX, Ja Rule, Method Man & Redman, Ludacris, Rihanna, Jeezy, and the inimitable Kanye West. Now in its fourth decade, Def Jam’s music and lifestyle has grown into a global brand – synonymous with creativity, quality and authenticity – encompassing a diverse roster of marquee and emerging stars like West, Justin Bieber, Alessia Cara, Logic, Pusha T, Jadakiss, Vince Staples, Jeremih, Big Sean, YG, 2 Chainz, Dave East, and Jhene Aiko, among others. Today, Def Jam has reaffirmed its passion for and commitment to hip-hop culture, and has expanded its global brand reach to become the most-followed major label on all major social media platforms.
How we LEAD:
The Manager, Marketing will support and collaborate with the Marketing team in the timely creation and execution of marketing plans that align with the overall vision and strategy for assigned releases, maximizing sales and exposure; reflective of strategic goals, release-specific objectives and financial guidelines.
How You'll Create:
- Oversee and manage all project dates, deadlines, and tasks related to the assigned artist roster.
- Build and execute marketing plans across divisions for all artists in partnership with internal and external stakeholders and outside vendors. Should meet all deadlines and fully execute plan in all respective areas.
- Help facilitate and optimize the timely delivery of items to Commercial Partnership teams to meet sales, marketing and production deadlines.
- Function as liaison with Creative Department to ensure all marketing deadlines are met, including initiation and creation of all release materials, and marketing elements as needed.
- Assist with the managing of total budget and allocation of funds for each marketing team, and maintain marketing budgets and monthly forecasting for all active projects.
- Coordinate album and single specific promotions with National Promotions team, ensuring all assets are delivered on –time and that promotions reflect album specific objectives
- Ensure on-time delivery of all marketing assets for releases or campaigns by coordinating deadlines, video content and other marketing materials for all projects.
- Support in all areas handling marketing responsibilities including financial reports, sales analysis, presentation decks, legal affairs, etc.
- Assist with all artist and marketing-driven events. May include booking artist travel and communication, securing venues, gear rentals, and coordinating internal meetings
- Regular pulling of data from internal and external industry sources to ensure consistent information flow.
- Create and keep current one-sheets for sales, promotion, etc.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Bring your VIBE:
- Very strong organizational skills
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- Ability to work with limited supervision and with multiple stakeholders / individuals in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- Ability to prioritize and multi task efficiently
- Proven Project/Budget Management Skills
- Ability to successfully write and develop marketing plans
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships, including artist and artist managers
- Ability to adapt to a flexible work schedule
- Must be discrete and professional at all times and maintain absolute confidentiality as this position regularly handles sensitive information.
- Travel is a requirement.
- 2-3 years of marketing experience
- Music industry/entertainment experience
- Prefer 4-year college degree, if possible in marketing, business or equivalent
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan with company matching
- Flexible Paid Time Off plus Paid Holidays, 2 week “Winter Break” & Wellness Fridays (year-round)
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance & Tuition Reimbursement (after 12 months of service)
- Robust Employee Assistance Program (for you and your loved ones)
- Annual Well-Being Allowance which includes Fitness, Travel, Home Enhancements, Nutrition, and Spa Treatment Reimbursements
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of a negative PCR or Antigen test before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.