Director of Business Affairs
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music and merchandise to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
As the Director of Business Affairs you will manage the business and legal affairs for assigned divisions and matters to ensure that contractual relationships of the Company are completed in a timely, efficient, and accurate manner, serving internal and external customers.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Draft and negotiate recording artist, exclusive license, and other agreements related to recordings, as well as songwriter, co-publishing, administration, catalogue acquisition, and other music publishing agreements as necessary.
- Provide consultation, guidance and direction to division leaders on proposed and pending agreements, copyright terminations, and other various legal issues that arise.
- Provide guidance to division leaders and other employees as to deal terms contained in prior agreements.
- Assist VP with revising and updating standard contract forms used by Company.
- Train and provide feedback to Company’s Music Publishing and Motown Gospel divisions on drafting and negotiating simple publishing agreements, featured artist clearances, video production agreements, and producer/remixer agreements.
- Serve as liaison with outside counsel as well as parent company’s internal counsel concerning specialized legal matters being performed by such counsel.
- Assist with any pending and threatened litigation in a timely and efficient manner in conjunction with parent company’s legal department and outside litigators.
- Other Duties as assigned.
Bring your VIBE:
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience as an entertainment lawyer
- Market place experience and business knowledge
- Relationship building skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Acrobat
- Must work with high degree of confidence and confidentiality
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple responsibilities, being able to shift priorities as business needs require
- College Degree
- Law Degree
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.