Senior Vice President, Finance
We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
This is an incredibly exciting time to join the Global eCommerce and Business Development team at the Universal Music Group. This dynamic team drives the strategic vision for one of UMG’s most significant growth initiatives. Focused on deepening fan engagement and growing audiences for UMG’s global community of artists, labels, and brands, the Global eCommerce and Business Development team leads the product development, eCommerce and digital marketing strategy for UMG’s global e-commerce platform and product offerings. This team is charged with bringing innovative and engaging consumer products and experiences to market to elevate UMG’s artists and create a stronger connection between the artist and fans who love them.
Reporting directly to the President of Global eCommerce and Business Development, the SVP Finance is a core member of the division’s leadership team. This position is a “hands-on” leader managing FP&A teams that support the financial reporting, planning and analysis functions spanning several businesses and in house service lines including UMG’s Direct-to-Consumer and Artist Merchandising (Bravado) units, as well as UMG’s eCommerce, data and insights, and innovation teams.
In partnership with the division’s Chief Marketing Officer, Chief Product Officer, Chief Data Officer and Head of eCommerce and Label Services, a key focus of this position will be to maximize the strategic and financial return on investments intended to drive customer and audience acquisition to our direct-to-consumer offerings, while building a business that will provide meaningful profits in the future through appropriate review and control over expenses. In addition to leading the FP&A function, this leader will be responsible for significant executive and cross-functional stakeholder operations and communications working closely with UMG’s Supply Chain, IT, and record label’s commerce teams to accomplish team objectives.
This position is based in Santa Monica, California with moderate domestic and international travel as needed.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Own the financial planning, modeling, and results of all global marketing efforts in support of the direct-to-consumer business. Will think strategically about the business across its various components, partner with executives on day-to-day business imperatives and challenge ways of working.
- Work with marketing to understand, track and optimize media spend efficiency as measured by audience and revenue growth.
- Provide unbiased partnership and a financial lens to critical decisions that will have long term impact on our business model.
- Work as a member of a cross-functional Finance leadership team to amplify the value of UMG’s global audio and merchandise rights, as well as the incubation and launch of new DTC businesses models and products.
- Oversee all functions related to the core FP&A duties for the division’s business lines and departments, including corporate monthly close, annual operating plan, and interim forecasts.
- Monitor, assess and translate organizational performance against both the annual budget and company’s long-term strategy for the division’s leadership team.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information and make actionable recommendations with respect to strategy and operations.
- Oversee budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with company strategic plan, especially as the organization considers potential acquisitions, and collaborations with external organizations.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
- Partner with central accounting services to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function.
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate of divisional internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting; oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Collaborate on the implementation of financial and accounting systems enhancements, processes, tools, and control systems.
Bring your VIBE:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance with strong accounting acumen; a CPA would be a plus.
- A minimum of 15+ years of financial management, analysis, reporting and business planning with strong strategic, analytical and finance skills. 5-7 years prior experience at the VP Finance or equivalent level, preferably at a Global enterprise with revenues in excess of $1 Billion.
- Experience with advertising-based business models, subscription-based models and/or media marketing/promotion models, especially in media, is highly desirable. Prior experience in or knowledge of Entertainment or Music accounting a plus.
- Understanding of Digital Media to drive sales with demonstrable experience cracking the code of attribution.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills including experience developing presentations for senior leaders.
- Must have the legal right to work in the U.S
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Winter Break”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.