Senior Relationship Manager
Umpqua Bank is a publicly traded financial holdings company which offers banking, lending, and wealth management services to our personal, business, and commercial customers. Headquartered in Lake Oswego, Oregon with 4,000+ employees and operations across Oregon, Washington, California, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado, and Nevada. It’s an especially exciting time to join our team as, upon the completion of the merger with Columbia Bank, we grow to become a leading western regional bank with more than $50B in assets under management and an unwavering commitment to our associates, our customers, and our communities.
About the Role:
In this role, you will serve as the key banking relationship manager for assigned Commercial and Middle Market Agricultural (Ag) client relationships. Accountable for prospecting new Ag and Ag Related business, managing existing portfolio (expanding existing relationships), and managing the credit through approval. You’ll maintain a "trusted advisor" role, engaging in dialogue with Executive-level client contacts to assess holistic banking needs and to provide customized banking insights and solutions. You will drive financial performance through profitable revenue and growth and quality credit. At this level, the Ag Relationship Manager generally supports a portfolio of mid-size commercial and middle market Ag clients with $5-25MM or more in annual revenue, with varying levels of complexity.
- Identifies, attracts, and secures new Commercial and Middle Market Ag and Ag related industry relationships to grow bank's Agricultural (Ag) market share. Achieves individual production goals for loans, deposits, and core fee income, to support the bank in achieving its overall financial targets.
- Serves as a trusted advisor to clients, functions as the Ag client “expert” in providing differentiating consult, ideas, and options. Champions and leads business development efforts by developing a clear and holistic understanding of the client’s or prospect’s business and industry. Performs client reviews to ensure the bank provides relevant solutions as clients grow and adapt. Performs periodic business plan review, progress to date, and updates communicated to appropriate parties. Understands business continuity and bank solutions to same for clients and prospects.
- Develops focused strategies for acquiring, retaining, and growing select clients. Maintains a complex Ag portfolio of existing customers to maximize existing/new relationships based on customer need. Ensures that all needed data and information is received in accordance with policy and compliance. Responsible for managing Ag portfolio effectively (crop lines of credit, budget of borrower and visual inspections). Possesses strong knowledgeable in the areas of commodity risk, commodity pricing, supply and demand influences on commodity products, regulatory policies with respect the commodities within the geographic market served by the RM. Is able to read, question and comprehend budgets that align with borrower’s business plans. Is responsible for regular site visits to inspect and opine on growing crops and livestock in line with client’s business plans. Understand market complexities and options as well as sustainability of same.
- Develops and maximizes established referral network. Proactively prospects for new Ag clients and identifies ways to expand existing relationships in collaboration with Ag team and various internal partners. Identifies opportunities and partners to structure, coordinate and sponsor credit and non-credit solutions.
- Assembles and leads cross-functional team to quickly respond to customer requests and identified needs. In partnership with the Credit team, analyzes applicant data to determine feasibility of granting loan and facilitates negotiation with customer according to established standards such as fees, loan repayment options, and other credit terms. Understands and can communicate various local and federal laws around delivery and payment of product and inputs, such as grower payables and PACA lien issues.
- Maintains active prospecting effort and pipeline for consistent production. Controls and minimizes potential risks through proactive relationship management and through expert knowledge of compliance and risk management.
- Studies commercial and middle market agricultural industrial, economic and financial situations relating to new or existing business as part of prudent business development and portfolio management disciplines. Attends relevant industry events and educational programs to enhance expertise in field.
- Demonstrate compliance with all bank regulations that apply to your position and keep up to date on regulation changes.
- Maintain working knowledge of our policies and procedures regarding the Bank Secrecy Act, Regulation CC, Regulation E, Bank Security, and other regulations that apply to your position.
- May be asked to coach, mentor, or train others and teach coursework as subject matter expert.
- Bachelor's Degree in Agricultural discipline, or business, finance, related field (or equivalent experience)
- Master's Degree in Business Administration (MBA), or related field of study, preferred.
- 4-7 years of relevant commercial Agricultural banking experience and/or proven track record of exceeding performance in developing business and managing a complex portfolio in the Commercial Ag industry, required.
- Proven track record of success in developing new Ag and Ag related business, growing market share, and establishing/growing a quality supportive network.
- Experience working in relationship management teams with a proven understanding of the importance of balancing business development and asset quality. Proven ability to constructively work within (lead) a team in effort to deliver holistic, customize banking relationships.
- Advanced credit acumen (accounting, financial statement, understanding business (farming/agricultural) and understanding of operational cash flow) with the ability to support more complex deals. Working knowledge of the bank’s systems and Ag policies applicable to underwriting and portfolio management.
- Confirmed superior client relationship and internal partnering skills. Ability to work effectively with individuals and groups across the company to manage customer relationships.
- Ability to deliver holistic solutions that are both saleable to client and provide adequate risk management for Bank.
- Excellent relationship management and business development abilities. Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Ag and Ag related lending policies, procedures, practices and documentation.
- Ability to train and present to small and large audiences.
- Ability to negotiate/collaborate with Senior Credit Officers on Ag credit terms and structures.
- Possess strong computer skills including use of the Microsoft Office suite with the ability to learn new business software, as needed.
- As applicable, experience with syndications, asset-based lending, capital structure finance, leveraged lending, trade finance and/or other specialty lending.
We offer a competitive total rewards package including base wages and comprehensive benefits. The pay range for this role is $96,890 to $196,037, and the pay rate for the selected candidate is dependent upon a variety of non-discriminatory factors including, but not limited to, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience, education, and geographic location. The role may be eligible for performance-based incentive compensation and those details will be provided during the recruitment process.
We offer eligible associates comprehensive healthcare coverage (medical, dental, and vision plans), a 401(k)-retirement savings plan with employer match for qualifying associate contributions, an employee assistance program, life insurance, disability insurance, tuition assistance, mental health resources, identity theft protection, legal support, auto and home insurance, pet insurance, access to an online discount marketplace, and paid vacation, sick days, volunteer days, and holidays. Benefit eligibility begins the first day of the month following the date of hire for associates who are regularly scheduled to work at least thirty hours weekly.
Our Commitment to Diversity:
Umpqua Bank is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to employing, engaging, and developing a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, disability, or any other applicable protected status or characteristics. If you require an accommodation to complete the application or interview(s), please let us know by email: [email protected]
To Staffing and Recruiting Agencies:
Our posted job opportunities are only intended for individuals seeking employment at Umpqua Bank. Umpqua Bank does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies and Umpqua Bank will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resume submissions. Staffing and recruiting agencies are not authorized to submit profiles, applications, or resumes to this site or to any Umpqua Bank employee and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited unless requested directly by a member of the Talent Acquisition team.