Histology Technician I
Requisition #: 204261
Title: Technician I, Histology
Department: Anatomic Pathology
Posting Date: 06/30/2020
Hours: As Needed - Per Diem
Shift Length: 8 hours
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center – 3 Biotech Park, Worcester, MA
8:00am-4:30pm Monday-Friday and Occasional holidays and weekends.
Occasional holidays and weekends.
Position Summary:Under the general direction of the laboratory or clinic manager, performs a wide array of laboratory tests and procedures of moderate complexity in a clinical laboratory or dermatology clinic.
- Follows established protocols to perform various procedures and tests, including the most complex for an assigned area. Refers to Technologist, Histology II, supervisory or lead staff members for assistance in the performance and interpretation of complex or unusual tests and procedures.
- Establishes requirements/needs of a working laboratory, acquiring and maintaining par levels of dyes, stains, other solutions, and necessary equipment. Organizes and maintains the laboratory and chemical supplies in a manner consistent with chemical hygiene, blood pathogen, and other institutional requirements for proper laboratory function and safety.
- Performs all routine procedures and required quality control; ensures proper and professional accessioning of human tissue specimens, accurate and timely logging of such specimens, and preparation and presentation of same with the technical expertise required for microscopic examination by the surgeon or pathologist.
- Prepares human tissue from surgical and diagnostic sources; performs specialized fixation and microscopic examination to determine if the sections have been properly prepared and stained.
- Cleans, maintains, and calibrates all laboratory equipment involved with surgical procedures to obtain skin specimens; reads and interprets histographic displays (maps) and properly labels specimens.
Successful completion of an accredited school of Histotechnology, with ASCP certification as an HT is preferred or HS diploma.
4 years of experience in histology.
Standards of Respect:
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.