Clinical Risk Manager
Requisition #: 201700
Title: Risk Manager, Clinical
Department: Risk Management
Posting Date: January 10, 2020
Hours: 40 hours
Shift Length: 8 hours
Location: UMass Memorial Health Care – physical location is Health Alliance Clinton
Monday - Friday
On-Call for 7 day period during rotation.
Position Summary:Responsible for UMMMC’s risk management activities of identifying quality of care, patient safety, medication safety, regulatory and risk management issues and concerns by applying applicable knowledge and principles of clinical care, standards of care, patient safety, quality improvement and risk management. Participates in UMMHC System Risk Management activities. A major focus is on potential medical malpractice and general liability claims at UMMMC. Responsible for identifying and implementing measures to improve patient safety and quality of care and decrease/limit risk.
- Responsible for applying the risk management process of identifying risks, setting priorities, and treating the risks through elimination, prevention, reduction and transfer.
- Responsible for identifying incidents with potential for liability and financial loss, using loss prevention monitors, including occurrence (incident reports), focused occurrences and patient complaints.
- Conducts investigations of incidents/ adverse events with quality of care, systems, regulatory and/or potential liability questions and concerns.
- Reviews daily occurrences through the on–line occurrence reporting system, aimed at identifying significant events, as well as patterns and trends, in order to identify and facilitate appropriate risk management and quality improvement interventions.
- Serves as a resource and consultant for physicians, residents, patient care representatives, and other UMMMC staff on risk management/loss control/loss prevention strategies. Conducts independent clinical department risk assessments and presents findings to department leadership.
Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and experience in fundamentals of quality improvement, patient safety and risk management. Proven ability to function independently and communicate effectively at all levels of an organization required. Must have strong organizational, analytical and computer technology skills.
Registered Nurse with Bachelor's Degree preferred. Master's Degree in health-related field or MBA preferred. CPHRM or other Risk Management certification preferred.
Minimum of 5 years clinical experience and a minimum of 3 years experience in Healthcare Risk Management, preferably in an academic medical center.
Database experience preferred.
Standards of Respect:
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.