Clinical Systems Engineer
At UMass Memorial Health Care, Everyone is a Caregiver regardless of title. Exceptional patient care, academic excellence and leading-edge research make UMass Memorial the premier health care system of Central and Western Massachusetts, and a place where we can help you build the career you deserve. We are more than 14,000 employees, working together as one health care system. And everyone, in their own unique way, plays an important part, everyday.
Requisition # 193269
Title: Engineer, Clinical Systems/Project Manager
Department: Biomedical Engineering
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center – University Campus, 55 Lake Ave North, Worcester, MA
Reporting to the Manager, Clinical Engineering. Responsible for development and design for equipment systems for UMMHC as it is associated with medical device applications. Working as part of the UMMHC CE project management team to improve patient care quality/safety, customer efficiency/work–flow usability of medical device technology and customizations that improve these core objectives as well as the adoption of UMMHC applications.
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Biomedical Engineering. One to five years of relevant experience working in Clinical Engineering operations or similar environment required. Must have an understanding of methods, materials, tools, equipment and technical service procedures, for all devices managed by the Clinical Engineering Department. Experience in computer hardware and software, and in health care environment. Moderate programming skills and knowledge of database and network architecture/security/interface protocols recommended. Well developed interpersonal skills to successfully represent the interests of the department at all levels within the organization and affiliates to gain confidence and cooperation of others. Advanced problem solving and analytical skills necessary to assess complex issues and evaluate data in support of process redesign. Proven project management skills are required.
- Responsible for collaborating with the Information Services/Clinical Engineering Team on medical device interoperability for the UMMHC Electronic Medical Record (clinical data management system) from a technical, as well as operational perspective.
- Evaluates, recommends/selects, procures, integrates, installs, and certifies devices for UMMMC expansion/renovation projects as well as regulatory inspections. Responsible for long–term financial projections related to medical device procurement. Monitors emerging technologies and reports technology trends.
- Performs a variety of duties involving the resolution of Clinical Engineering departmental issues, as well as documentation, special projects and assignments related to departmental efficiencies and cost saving initiatives, inservice to clinical and non clinical staff, design and modification of medical equipment hardware/software, equipment technical evaluations, standardization and obsolescence planning, equipment purchase, installation coordination, regulatory agency compliance, and disposal of retired medical equipment and related duties.
- Coordinates the installation of medical equipment and works with service team to schedule preventive maintenance on all types of medical equipment. Coordinates installation of medical equipment as necessary with managers, planners, electricians, contractors, etc. Performs technical evaluation of new medical devices.
- Provides assistance to medical staff and management in the design or modification of special devices or systems appropriate to specific clinical needs and modify or develop electronic devices.
Standards of Respect:
We’re striving to make respect a part of everything we do at UMass Memorial – for our patients and for each other. We’re expecting that our new caregivers practice our six Standards of Respect: Acknowledge, Listen, Communicate, Be Responsive, Be a Team Player, and Be Kind, to help us make respect a part of how we take care of business everyday.