Requisition #: 204054
Department: Pastoral Care
Posting Date: July 17, 2020
Hours: 32 hours
Shift Length: 8 hours
Overnight on-call shifts distributed among chaplains
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center – University Campus
Position Summary:Responsible for the delivery of pastoral and spiritual care to patients, their loved ones, and staff on all campuses of the Medical Center. Offers a multi–faith presence that is responsive to the cultural, religious, and spiritual diversity of patients and their loved ones.Major Responsibilities:
- Assesses patient and family spiritual needs and develops pastoral care plan in response to identified needs.
- Responds to pastoral care emergencies and consults in a timely manner. Participates in provision of 24hour coverage. Participates in Medical Center’s response to disasters, community traumas, and related situations.
- Documents pastoral care assessments, visits and interventions in the patient’s record to contribute to holistic patient centered care.
- Collaborates with interpreter services to provide culturally competent care of patients and their loved ones. Consults with Medical Center staff regarding provision of care that is sensitive to the diversity of patients’ spiritual/religious/cultural values.
- Provides spiritual care to patients, their loved ones, UMMMC staff and students drawing from their spiritual resources to creatively cope with illness, grief, trauma, stress, and death. Includes but not limited to administering sacraments, providing rituals, memorial services, crisis intervention and end of life care.
Masters degree of Divinity or related degree from school accredited by Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Current ordination or commission to function in a ministry of pastoral care, and current endorsement by a recognized faith group for ministry as a chaplain. Certification by the Association of Professional Chaplains, the National Association of Catholic Chaplains, the National Association of Jewish Chaplains, the Canadian Association for Pastoral Practice and Education, or eligibility for certification within two years. Valid driver’s license.
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to effectively manage high levels of stress.
Minimum of 5 years in professional ministry preferred with at least three years experience as a chaplain in a hospital setting preferred.
Standards of Respect:
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.