C.N.A., GMPU; Evening
Title: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)
Requisition #: 190836
Shift: 3:00pm to 11:30pm including every other weekend and holiday
Posting Date: 03/05/2019
Location: Clinton Campus
HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital is part of the UMass Memorial Health Care system. Serving northern central Massachusetts, we are committed to improving the health of people through excellence in care and comprehensive health services. Promoting healthy lifestyle habits, we serve as a role model by having a tobacco and smoke free campus and hiring nicotine free employees. By exploring careers with us, you are committed to giving your best to our patients, our community and everyone working on our HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital Care Team. Whatever your career choice, know that at HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital you can make a difference.
The CNA (Certified Nurse Assistant) performs various patient care activities related to caring for the personal needs and comfort of an assigned group of residents under the direction of licensed staff.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Job duties specific to this position:
- Collaborates with other health care professionals and works under the direction of a registered nurse.
- Provides direct patient care in a safe sensitive, timely manner according to departmental policies and procedures.
- Performs skills and procedures specific to the role proficiently in accordance with departmental competencies and procedures.
- Assists and responds to the needs of a patient population to provide a comfortable and safe environment. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Responding to patients' call signals promptly, taking proper action and follow up.
- Assisting with personal care (such as feeding, bathing, grooming, and dressing.)
- Providing patient help with repositioning, walking, exercising, and moving into and out of bed.
- Changing linens and cleaning rooms.
- Supports the processes of patient care provided by the medical team by performing various duties including but not limited to:
- Taking and recording vital signs in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
- Observing, recording and reporting patients' conditions, food and liquid intake and output, collecting samples, and reporting changes to professional staff.
- Supplying and emptying bed pans, applying dressings, supervising exercise routines, etc.
- May transport patients to treatment units, using a wheelchair or stretcher.
- Initiates, completes and maintains medical records, department logs, unit/shift task lists and other documentation as required.
- Adheres to the principles of infection control in all aspects of the CNA role.
- Answers unit phones and directs visitors.
- Makes fiscally responsible actions with patient care needs, supplies and equipment.
- Responds appropriately and immediately in emergency situations.
- May be assigned to work in the role of a Patient Observer and provide direct observation of one or more patients who have been assessed as a safety risk to themselves and require constant monitoring.
- Complies with all department and hospital policies and procedures.
- Participates in and completes all appropriate Hospital and department specific training requirements.
Job duties for all positions:
- Takes responsibility for ensuring that all work outcomes satisfy the HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital Three Pillars: Finance, Quality, and Service Excellence.
- The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital and serve as a role model for the CARES - It Happens Here customer service initiative.
- Demonstrates excellent attendance and actively participates in a variety of meetings and training sessions as required.
- Demonstrates a friendly, responsive, service-minded attitude to all internal and external customers.
- Communicates ideas effectively. Shares information and keeps others properly informed. Gives, and is open to useful feedback.
- Adheres to the HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards and dress code.
- Complies with established environment of care/safety policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
- Maintains, and fosters, an organized, clean, safe work environment.
- Actively contributes to the development and application of process improvements.
- Maintains a collaborative, team relationship with peers and colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the group’s achievement of goals and to help foster a positive work environment.
- Demonstrates respect for the diversity of patient and employee populations. Supports and encourages diverse points of view, work and lifestyles.
- Practices cost containment and fiscal responsibility through the efficient use of supplies, equipment, time, etc.
- Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to work independently and as part of an efficient team.
- Ability to act in a respectful and professional manner at all times even under stressful situations.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, infection control guidelines, and sterile technique.
- Ability to perform detailed assignments with minimal supervision and work under pressure.
- Ability to prioritize work assignments.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and “customer” skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak clearly in English.
High school diploma preferred. Completion of a CNA course and the certifying exam.
Prior experience in a direct patient care setting preferred.
An equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, ETC.:
Must be certified as a CNA in Massachusetts
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.