Senior Administrator, Academic Medicine/Psych
Requisition #: 192639
Title: Senior Administrator, Academic Medicine/Psych
Department: Psychiatry Administration
Posting Date: April 2, 2019
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Group – University Campus
With more than 1,100 physicians, the UMass Memorial Medical Group is one of the largest, integrated multispecialty group medical practices on the entire East Coast. Our physicians provide primary care and specialty services for both routine and complex health needs, and they practice at locations in Worcester and throughout Central Massachusetts.
Serves as a member of the Department’s leadership team, working with the Chair and Vice Chairs to set Department direction and oversee performance. Responsibilities include planning and managing the fiscal and related administrative/business affairs of a large, complex department with multiple divisions, which includes clinical, research, service, and the educational activities of UMMHC and UMMS.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Hospital Administration or a related area.
- 7 years of related experience, including 5 years in a supervisory capacity.
- Must possess knowledge of Healthcare delivery systems, financial planning and forecasts of Healthcare operations, generally accepted accounting principles and budget variance reporting. Strong interpersonal skills necessary to communicate and interact with all levels of management. Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities, to work autonomously, and organize, coordinate and monitor project work.
- Experience working in psychiatry or behavioral health field.
- Knowledge of revenue cycle, third party reimbursement as it pertains to behavioral health.
- Experience with EPIC or other EMR
- Working knowledge of Excel, Access, and other software packages
Facilitates the development and implementation of the department's business/strategic plan, develops and controls the department's budget and financial resources for UMMHC and UMMS, facilitates continuous improvements in operating efficiencies that are aligned with UMMHC/UMMS strategic objectives, and coordinates the department's staffing activities and decisions.
- Serves as an advisor to the Chair in organizational/personnel issues, such as the development, budgeting and execution of organizational/staffing plans for faculty and non‑faculty, recruitment activities including advertising, interviewing, sourcing, selecting and orientation, physician compensation plans, administering merit increase programs, physician and other clinical providers incentive plans, etc., for multiple locations with multiple contractual relationships.
- Works in conjunction with representatives of the Medical Center, Medical Group, and Medical School Administration and Budget Offices to define, prioritize and implement departmental strategy and direction.
- Supervises Academic Administrators advising faculty for the preparation of requests for grants and adherence to governmental/funding agency regulations and procedures. Oversees Administrators in the negotiation and management of research contracts and clinical contracts with outside organizations.
- Participates in the development and execution of multiple marketing, communication, and advertising plans that promote department services to the community and outside groups. Ensures appropriate and adequate financial resources to achieve the objectives of these activities.
- Oversees the coordination and implementation of Physician and Psychologist Employment Agreements, including monitoring periodic updates.
- As directed by the Department Chair, assists in the design and implementation of the department's strategic/business plan, managing vision, purpose, change, and coordinating activities to implement business and fiscal elements of the plan.
- Responsible for the Psychiatry Compensation Plan, including the collection and analysis of input from the Vice Chairs regarding participant responsibilities and incentives affecting the clinical, research and education mission areas. Works with Chair to finalize plan and coordinates review with Medical Group and School management.
- Represents the department at administrative meetings within and outside of UMMHC/UMMS.
- Directs analytical studies of existing or proposed services and activities to provide the economic basis for management decisions to improve operational/financial performance and to realize productivity improvements. Works to increase the clinical, contract and research revenue of the department.
- Identifies trends and appraises causes and effects and highlights opportunities to improve performance. Gathers, selects, utilizes information on appropriate healthcare industry operational performance benchmarks to establish the most appropriate standards and reporting methodology (performance metrics) to foster on‑going improvements in operating efficiency/process improvements.
- Develops a strategic plan for the appropriate management of departmental financial resources to meet ongoing program requirements and new opportunities for the dynamic and sustained growth of the department.
- Develops and manages the department's annual Medical Group, Medical School and Medical Center budgets which include multiple divisions and residency programs, regularly reporting significant variances and trends, recommending corrective action, and producing forecasts. Develops a management report that provides high level informative summary of departmental financials. Reviews departmental needs and recommends priorities based on availability of funds. Devises funding strategies where the sources represent multiple venues, internally and externally.
- Reviews and monitors expenditures of all funds, including clinical, educational and research. Monitors department grants and contracts.
- Oversight of appropriate education and training of faculty and staff for the responsible conduct of research including knowledge of applicable regulations, policies and requirements.
- Develops budgets in conjunction with the Medical Center Vice President. Works with the Medical Center Vice President to ensure operational efficiency of the Medical Center clinics as required.
- Collaborates with Associate Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration on UMMS activities.
- Oversees the management of all Department grants and the faculty development of grant budgets, monitors grant expenditures compared to planned expenses. Analyzes and reports on variances of actual to proposed expenditures.
- Manages department data in all fiscal and Human Resource databases, including the faculty and staff database, MPC, CPM, SUMMIT, EPIC and working knowledge of excel and access. Supervises all processes required for personnel action, including DEFAs, ECFs, and PAs.
- Oversees the Department’s indirect cost, time and effort, space, and capital equipment inventory reporting to the Medical Center, Medical Group, and Medical School.
- Manages or coordinates departmental group Medical Group billing and collection activities, ensuring efficient coordination with the billing department. Creates and revises forms, monitors billing performance, evaluates workflow and streamlines processes.
- Assures that mandatory training, licensing, certifications, and compliance requirements are met and policies are executed for the department staff and participating physicians.
- Assists the Department Chair in the improvement of the quality of care through continuous improvement programs. Develops, leads and coordinates a variety of quality improvement projects related to clinical and nonclinical processes within the department, assuring that corrective action is taken as necessary.
- Adheres to and is responsible for the implementation of all Human Resources policies and procedures for the Medical Center, Medical Group and Medical School.
- Holds membership in national association for department specialty. Participates in regional yearly national association conferences for networking opportunities and keeps abreast of all current trends. Makes recommendations to Chair regarding changes in trends based on knowledge obtained at conferences.
- Works with Executive Director, UMMMG and CFO/Controller, UMMMG regarding overall HR, Legal and Finance issues and is accountable for promptly responding to administration's request for information.
Standard Management Level Responsibilities:
- Directs and supervises assigned personnel including performance evaluations, scheduling, orientation, and training. Makes recommendations on employee hires, transfers, promotions, salary changes, discipline, terminations, and similar actions. Resolves grievances and other personnel problems within position responsibilities.
- Develops and recommends the budgets for the areas managed. Manages activities to assure financial goals are met.
- Coordinates the assignment of tasks and helps resolve technical and operational problems. Evaluates the impact of solutions to ensure goals are achieved.
- Provides effective direction, guidance, and leadership over the staff for effective teamwork and motivation and fosters the effective integration of efforts with system-wide initiatives.
- Encourages and supports diverse views and approaches, demonstrates Standards of Respect, and contributes to creating and maintaining an environment of professionalism, respect, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
- Integrates diversity into departmental objectives, such as hiring, promotions, training, vendor selections, etc.
- Participates in performance improvement initiatives and demonstrates the use of quality improvement in daily operations.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory agencies such as Joint Commission, DPH, etc. Develops and maintains procedures necessary to meet regulatory requirements.
- Ensures that department complies with hospital established policies, quality assurance programs, safety, and infection control policies and procedures.
- Ensures adequate equipment and supplies for department.
- Develops and maintains established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Ensures compliance to all health and safety regulations and requirements.
- Maintains, regular, reliable, and predictable attendance.
- Performs similar or related duties as required or directed.
All responsibilities are essential job functions.
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.