Fireman/Maintenance Mechanic, Utilities; Per Diem
Title: Fireman / Maintenance Mechanic
Department: Utilities - LC
Requisition #: 201859
Hours: Per Diem
Shift: Variable/as needed
Posting Date: 01/25/2020
HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital is part of the UMass Memorial Health Care system. Serving northern central Massachusetts, we are committed to improving the health of people through excellence in care and comprehensive health services. Promoting healthy lifestyle habits, we serve as a role model by having a tobacco and smoke free campus and hiring nicotine free employees. By exploring careers with us, you are committed to giving your best to our patients, our community and everyone working on our HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital Care Team. Whatever your career choice, know that at HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital you can make a difference.
The Fireman/Maintenance Mechanic is responsible for the operation and maintenance of high pressure boilers as well as the operation and maintenance of the Chiller Plant and Co-Generation Plant, including all related auxiliary equipment to meet the heating, cooling and power needs of the campus.Major Responsibilities:
- Returns plant operating systems which fail to operational status in a timely manner. If unable to do so, notifies Chief Engineer, Facility Director or the delegated individual.
- Communicates fully with other firemen- all information pertaining to plant operations.
- Responds immediately to customer emergencies and needs by telephone.
- Follows departmental on-call procedures for afterhours trouble calls.
- Fills out Fireman/Maintenance trouble log completely and in a timely manner.
- Follows verbal directions or written instructions from Chief Engineer or other firemen pertaining to plant operations.
- Keeps self-informed of variations to the department by reviewing posted materials.
- Performs required hourly rounds, taking accurate readings and responding to or notifying Chief Engineer or Facility Director of any substantial abnormalities.
- Performs posted daily maintenance/housekeeping tasks.
- Maintains necessary supplies and orders more as needed.
- Assists in cleaning and preparing boilers for inspection.
- Adheres to preventative maintenance schedule utilizing the Custom Maintenance Software (CMS) work order system.
- Assists Engineering with assembly, maintenance and repairs of various equipment.
Standard Staffing Level Responsibilities:
- Meets established productivity standards.
- Facilitates and promotes the sharing of knowledge and content throughout departments.
- Takes responsibility for ensuring that all work outcomes satisfy the UMass Memorial Health System True North.
- The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital and serve as a role model for CARES values.
- Adheres to change control processes.
- Participates in cross training to optimize department resources.
- Demonstrates excellent attendance and actively participates in a variety of meetings and training sessions as required.
- Demonstrates a friendly, responsive, service-minded attitude to all internal and external customers.
- Communicates ideas effectively. Shares information and keeps others properly informed. Gives, and is open to useful feedback.
- Adheres to the HealthAlliance Hospital Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards and dress code.
- Complies with established environment of care/safety policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
- Maintains and fosters an organized, clean and safe work environment.
- Contributes to the development and application of process improvements.
- Maintains a collaborative, team relationship with peers and colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the group’s achievement of goals and to help foster a positive work environment.
- Attends staff meetings and in-service programs as required or directed. Keeps current with hospital and unit changes by reading communication boards and/or books, bulletin boards, posted notices and reads and responds to e mails on a regular basis.
- Practices cost containment and fiscal responsibility through the efficient use of supplies, equipment, time, etc.
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures and objectives.
- Attends variety of meetings, conferences, seminars as required or directed.
- Demonstrates use of Quality Improvement in daily operations.
- Complies with all health and safety regulations and requirements.
- Respects diverse views and approaches, demonstrates Standard of Respect, and contributes to creating and maintaining an environment of professionalism, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
- Maintains, regular, reliable, and predictable attendance
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
All responsibilities are essential job functions.
- Position Qualifications:
- High School Diploma
- 2nd Class Fireman’s license
- Previous (3-5 years) experience
- Ability to operate a variety of hand and power tools
- Ability to read, write, and speak clearly in English
Unless certification, licensure or registration is required, an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed in this description may be substituted for the above requirements.
Department-specific competencies and their measurements will be developed and maintained in the individual departments. The competencies will be maintained and attached to the departmental job description. Responsible managers will review competencies with position incumbents.
Standards Of Respect:
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.