Director, Master Black Belt (Lean Process Improvement)
At UMass Memorial Health Care, Everyone is a Caregiver regardless of title. Exceptional patient care, academic excellence and leading-edge research make UMass Memorial the premier health care system of Central and Western Massachusetts, and a place where we can help you build the career you deserve. We are more than 14,000 employees, working together as one health care system. And everyone, in their own unique way, plays an important part, everyday.
Requisition # 192406
Title: Director, Master Black Belt
Department: Office of Organizational Transformation
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center, 100 Front Street, Worcester, MA.
Leads a team of Process Engineers and partners with the Transformation Program Directors to execute process improvement projects and programs. Enables the execution of Transformation Program work throughout the UMass Memorial Health Care system and at the direction of the CEO’s Core Leaders team. Manages and provides guidance and mentorship to Process Improvement Engineers working on Strategic Transformation initiatives. Collaborates at all levels of the organization to accomplish the UMMHC enterprise strategic goals and objectives.
Position Qualifications: (License/Certification/Education)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Technical field, Statistics, Healthcare or Business Administration required.
- Certification from a nationally-recognized organization or company in the field of Lean Six Sigma.
- 10+ years’ experience as Lean Six Master Black Belt and leading large-scale cross-functional project teams across multiple industries.
- 15+ years’ experience in facilitating and leading improvement projects including change.
- Advanced ability to conceive and develop a strategic plan and persuade and influence others to execute plan. Advanced analytical, problem solving, and negotiation skills
- Advanced project management and program oversight experience.
- Expert knowledge of best practices in the following fields: DMAIC, DMADV, Theory of constraints, Lean, Applied Statistics, Kaizen,
- Minitab and Tableau Experience with the ability to teach others
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and articulate key presentations to a broad range of individuals including all key executives. Ability to identify and prioritize key customer issues to be addressed by projects and products.
- Thorough ability to recognize implications of business plans and decisions. Full working knowledge of various software and spreadsheet applications used in process mapping, process design / redesign, and workflow management.
- Superior teamwork skills, both as a leader and a team member, combined with a track record of success. Strong people leadership skills both in direct reporting relationship and matrix-based leadership. Effective change management skills.
- Strong sense of ownership and high level of accountability. Ability to work independently and to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Directs, manages, and mentors significant projects/programs and initiatives that align with CEO’s Strategic Priorities for the UMMHC Healthcare System at all levels of the organization.
- Works with Executive leadership to identify key projects and to set priorities.
- Maintains detailed records of all LSS projects.
- Manages process improvement engineers and their assignments on the transformation initiatives and ensures proper use of Improvement tools/skills throughout team and organization.
- Collaborates with transformation program directors to ensure correct project, scope, and resource allocation to enable execution of the overall transformation initiative.
- Collaborates with other Master Black Belt Director(s) in overall standards of delivery of project work.
- Consults on Lean and Six Sigma training content and delivery models.
- Provides mentorship and guidance on statistical analysis and tools, and with development of conclusions, and presentations on the information.
- Leads process engineering team in defect analysis and creation of key metrics
- Develops recommendations to support initiatives, requirements, and sustainment of improvement work.
- Reviews project status with assigned Process Improvement Engineers and executive Stakeholders and ensures on-time in scope delivery of proposed solutions.
- Develops project intake for the Process Improvement team.
- May lead large project work independently.
- Facilitates sessions at all levels for planning, mapping, business process redesign, Kaizen, continuous improvement, lean thinking, cycle time reductions, etc. to simplify and perfect targeted areas.
- Uses knowledge of industrial engineering, process engineering, and theory of constraint best practices in redesigning value streams.
- Acts as a leadership change agent and constructively challenges current thinking and resistance.
- Mentors Black Belt candidates as needed.
- Directs and supervises assigned personnel including performance evaluations, scheduling, orientation, and training. Makes recommendations on employee hires, transfers, promotions, salary changes, discipline, terminations, and similar actions. Resolves grievances and other personnel problems within position responsibilities.
- Develops and recommends the budgets for the areas managed. Manages activities to assure financial goals are met.
- Coordinates the assignment of tasks and helps resolve technical and operational problems. Evaluates the impact of solutions to ensure goals are achieved.
- Provides effective direction, guidance, and leadership over the staff for effective teamwork and motivation and fosters the effective integration of efforts with system-wide initiatives.
- Encourages and supports diverse views and approaches, demonstrates Standards of Respect, and contributes to creating and maintaining an environment of professionalism, respect, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
- Integrates diversity into departmental objectives, such as hiring, promotions, training, vendor selections, etc.
- Participates in performance improvement initiatives and demonstrates the use of quality improvement in daily operations.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory agencies such as Joint Commission, DPH, etc. Develops and maintains procedures necessary to meet regulatory requirements.
- Ensures that department complies with hospital established policies, quality assurance programs, safety, and infection control policies and procedures.
- Ensures adequate equipment and supplies for department.
- Develops and maintains established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Ensures compliance to all health and safety regulations and requirements.
- Maintains, regular, reliable, and predictable attendance.
- Performs similar or related duties as required or directed.
We’re striving to make respect a part of everything we do at UMass Memorial – for our patients and for each other. We’re expecting that our new caregivers practice our six Standards of Respect: Acknowledge, Listen, Communicate, Be Responsive, Be a Team Player, and Be Kind, to help us make respect a part of how we take care of business everyday.