Assistant General Counsel - Health Care/Employment
Requisition #: 191801
Title: Assistant General Counsel - Health Care/Employment
Posting Date: February 5, 2019
Shift Length: 8 hours
Location: UMass Memorial Health Care - 1 Biotech Park, Worcester, MA
UMass Memorial Health Care is the largest health care system in Central Massachusetts. We are the clinical partner of UMass Medical School, with access to the latest technology, research and clinical trials. Our health care system includes four hospitals:
- UMass Memorial Medical Center (Worcester)
- UMass Memorial HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital (Clinton, Fitchburg and Leominster)
- Marlborough Hospital (Marlborough)
In addition to our fully equipped medical centers, our system also includes home health and hospice programs, behavioral health programs and community-based physician practices.
Responsible for wide array of legal functions of a large health care system including, but not limited to: providing independent legal advice on behalf of UMMHC and its affiliate corporations to administration and senior management, boards of trustees, physician leaders and operational staff with a focus on general health care and employment issues; employment related contracts; health care regulatory compliance; and overseeing outside counsel in employment and health care related actions with federal and state agencies and before the courts.
- Provides legal services primarily as a member of the Office of General Counsel’s Employment Practice Group, and secondarily as a member of the Corporate/Business Practice Group.
- Provides legal counsel on various aspects of policy making within the organization. This may include, but is not limited to, policies concerning human resources, business operations, compliance, and privacy matters.
- Provides legal counsel in the form of formal and informal memoranda, verbal consultations, meetings, and education sessions, working closely with clinical and business staff for operations input.
- Advises senior management, Board(s) of Trustees, Human Resources staff, managers and physicians on state, federal and other regulatory agency guidelines in matters relating to employment, operational and medical staff matters, and regulatory compliance.
- Along with the Practice Group Leader and General Counsel, collaborates with and oversees outside counsel on agency and court proceedings, including but not limited to, matters before the MCAD, EEOC, Department of Public Health, Department of Mental Health, Health Policy Commission, labor arbitrations and federal and state courts.
- Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school
- Admission to the Massachusetts state bar
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of experience working with health care clients, including employment related matters.
- Prior in-house experience preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of federal and state health care regulations, including Fraud & Abuse, Stark, HIPAA, Determination of Need and state licensure, and familiarity with legal and regulatory issues related to physicians and medical staff strongly preferred.
- Experience with unionized environment preferred.
- Experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating contracts preferred.
Unless certification, licensure or registration is required, an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed in this description may be substituted for the above requirements.
Department-specific competencies and their measurements will be developed and maintained in the individual departments. The competencies will be maintained and attached to the departmental job description. Responsible managers will review competencies with position incumbents.