Administrative Supervisor - Nursing Supervision
At UMass Memorial Health Care, Everyone is a Caregiver regardless of title. Exceptional patient care, academic excellence and leading-edge research make UMass Memorial the premier health care system of Central and Western Massachusetts, and a place where we can help you build the career you deserve. We are more than 14,000 employees, working together as one health care system. And everyone, in their own unique way, plays an important part, everyday.
Requisition #: 123456
Title: Supervisor, Administrative
Hours: 20 - 8 and 12 hour shift lengths
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center – University Campus
12 hour shifts, 7p to 7a. Every third weekend and holiday
Acts as a resource to the nursing staff throughout the hospital. Has full authority to make decisions regarding nursing practice as outlined in the Nursing Practice Acts of Massachusetts within the framework of established unit, department, and hospital policies. Has authority, in emergency situations, to make decisions of a broader scope within this framework as a member of hospital administration; is able to assume responsibility and utilize additional resources available on call as needed.
BSN required; MSN preferred. Current registration to practice nursing in Massachusetts. 2–4 years’ current experience in an acute care/tertiary care facility. Sound knowledge of current general nursing theories and techniques. Knowledge of current management principles and 2–3 years in nursing management.
- Facilitates implementation of the nursing process by providing support and direction and by acting as the clinical and administrative resource person. In emergency situations assumes operational administrative authority.
- Oversees and coordinates the work of nursing personnel in the absence of the responsible nurse manager or clinical director/associate director of nursing. Assumes responsibility for in coming sick calls and notification of units as required. Assigns/reassigns nursing personnel including critical care and acute care float personnel according to patient acuity/staffing changes. Anticipates patient care needs on the following shifts and takes appropriate action to meet those needs. Directs nursing staff to appropriate resource personnel for management of patient care problems.
- Assigns one–on–one Observation Assistants and maintains an up to date list of patients requiring one–on–one observation (University Campus).
- Utilizes non–nursing, on call, personnel as appropriate (Memorial Campus).
- Responsible for bed management/admission process in the absence of the admission controller and in conjunction with UMMHC, physicians, Life flight, outlying/affiliated health care systems and the admissions department.
Standards of Respect:
We’re striving to make respect a part of everything we do at UMass Memorial – for our patients and for each other. We’re expecting that our new caregivers practice our six Standards of Respect: Acknowledge, Listen, Communicate, Be Responsive, Be a Team Player, and Be Kind, to help us make respect a part of how we take care of business everyday.
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.