Medical Technologist, Blood Bank - $2,500 Sign-on Bonus
Requisition #: 201196
Title: Technologist, Medical, Blood Bank
Department: Transfusion Medicine
Posting Date: December 18, 2019
Hours: 40 hours
Shift Length: 8 hours
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center – University Campus
Works Monday through Friday with rotating weekends. Weekend rotation may be every other or every third weekend. Shift starts at 11:15pm and ends at 7:15am.Works holidays and may be on-call as required.
Position Summary:Works with considerable independence to perform and interpret various immunohematological tests in order to provide compatible blood for transfusion of patients. Is fully proficient in the use of all equipment and procedures for an assigned area. Work schedule includes rotating shifts, holidays and/or on–call.
- Follows established Blood Bank protocols perform tests including the most complex for an assigned area and prepares component blood products for transfusion. Provides guidance and consultation to lower level technologists, technicians and others in the interpretation of complex or unusual test results and in the performance of standard operating Blood Bank procedures.
- Interprets and correlates clinical test results with patient history, diagnosis, and clinical condition in order to explain test results (normal/abnormal) so that appropriate action can be taken and/or blood component can be transfused.
- Performs low, moderate and/or high complexity testing as required.
- Performs all testing and work assignments with a positive sense of urgency meeting all established turnaround times and deadlines.
- Troubleshoots testing process discrepancies.
Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology or Clinical Laboratory Science) required or Bachelor's degree in Science (i. e. Biology, Chemistry).
Minimum of three years of relevant Blood Bank experience required or Associates Degree of Medical Laboratory Technology and a minimum of three years of relevant Blood Bank experience with MLT(ASCP) certification required. Must meet personnel qualifications described in 42 CFR 493 related to high complexity testing.
Standards of Respect:
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.