At UMass Memorial Health Care, Everyone is a Caregiver regardless of title. Exceptional patient care, academic excellence and leading-edge research make UMass Memorial the premier health care system of Central and Western Massachusetts, and a place where we can help you build the career you deserve. We are more than 14,000 employees, working together as one health care system. And everyone, in their own unique way, plays an important part, everyday.
Requisition #: 192362
Posting Date: March 27, 2019
Hours: As Needed
Shift Length: 8 hours
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center – Memorial Campus
Performs a wide variety of tasks and operations to prepare cold foods and cooked foods for patients, employees, and others as directed, following standard practices and procedures and complying with regulatory requirements.
Must be able to follow verbal and written directions. Requires simple use of formulas, charts
and tables together with the use of adjustable measuring instruments and graduates.
One to three years experience in food preparation. Employees must be at least 18 years of age to perform this role.
- Prepares all items as prescribed by production sheets and/or assigned by supervisor for patient and non–patient areas. Checks production sheets and menus and plans work accordingly. Trims and cuts meat, fish and fowl. Bakes, roasts, stews, grills and steam cooks meats, fish and fowl according to recipes and to provide maximum quality. Prepares gravies, dressings and sauces. Prepares vegetables, cold meats, ground meats, cooked cereals, breakfast and special items as required. Tests food by taste and aroma to determine if properly cooked and seasoned. Prepares entrees and sauces in advance as appropriate.
- Prepares correct portions for serving. Carves or slices desired weight or portion of meat, fish and fowl for individual servings and applies gravy, sauce or garnish. Portions items into appropriate steam table pans as indicated in the steam table layout sheets and in accordance with the daily cafeteria steam table sheet. Sets up entrees for patient tray line and assists in taste and temperature quality control. Sends appropriate items to cafeteria on schedule. Provides back–up services for lines. Checks for any usable leftovers and discusses usage with Production Manager.
- Exhibits sound sanitation, personal hygiene and safety practices and follows prescribed uniform policy.
- Utilizes equipment and supplies efficiently and with a high degree of concern for waste, utilization of leftovers, returns unused stock to proper storage area.
- Participates in special activities such as food functions, etc.
Standards of Respect:
We’re striving to make respect a part of everything we do at UMass Memorial – for our patients and for each other. We’re expecting that our new caregivers practice our six Standards of Respect: Acknowledge, Listen, Communicate, Be Responsive, Be a Team Player, and Be Kind, to help us make respect a part of how we take care of business everyday.