At UMass Memorial Health Care, Everyone is a Caregiver regardless of title. Exceptional patient care, academic excellence and leading-edge research make UMass Memorial the premier health care system of Central and Western Massachusetts, and a place where we can help you build the career you deserve. We are more than 14,000 employees, working together as one health care system. And everyone, in their own unique way, plays an important part, everyday.
Requisition #: 123456
Title: Surgical Aide
Department: Perioperative Services
Posting Date: May 14 2019
Shift Length: 8 hours
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center – University Campus
The Surgical Aide reports to the Operating Room Manager and is directly supervised by that manager, or a designated Service Line Manager within Perioperative Services. Transports equipment and supplies as requested. Cleans and stores equipment. Stocks and orders standard supplies. Under direction of the Nurse Manager, assists staff in patient care and may provide constant observation of patients.
As an integral member of the patient care team, serves both internal and external customers including patients, families, nurses, physicians and other colleagues who support the delivery of care and services throughout Perioperative Services.
- Minimum of a high school education or GED required.
- Current Basic Life Support or Heart Saver certification required.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate in English in a clear and concise manner.
- Must utilize proper safety techniques and body mechanics in all work–related activities.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills to gather information from individuals, build relationships that support collaborative work within the department and across the organization and provide exceptional service to patients.
- Must have proven interpersonal skills to provides respectful, culturally and age appropriate communication with patients, staff, family, visitors and others.
- Must have proven problem–solving abilities for routine situations and requests assistance from identified resources when more direction is needed.
- Must be able to remain calm when under stress or in emergency situations
- Minimum of six (6) months of health care experience.
- Medical terminology and computer skills strongly preferred.
- Performs a wide range of delivery and distribution activities.
- Transports patients, equipment, supplies, x–rays, specimens, blood, et al to a variety of areas following safety standards.
- Keeps supervising Registered Nurse informed of their location and activities as well as all areas of concern.
- Responds to pages in a timely manner. When not transporting, is visible on unit at all times.
- Picks up and delivers supplies from the pharmacy, medical records, central supplies, and other areas as requested
Standards of Respect:
We’re striving to make respect a part of everything we do at UMass Memorial – for our patients and for each other. We’re expecting that our new caregivers practice our six Standards of Respect: Acknowledge, Listen, Communicate, Be Responsive, Be a Team Player, and Be Kind, to help us make respect a part of how we take care of business everyday.
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.