Systems Engineer, Network Architecture - Remote
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
About the Opportunity:
As a Systems Engineer in the Network Architecture team, you will play a major role in automating our infrastructure, development processes and tools. You’ll be part of a growing team that is building our next generation fiber platform. The platform offers a robust API for provisioning and managing hardware on our fiber network and integrates with many other services and tools that power our business. These capabilities allow us to differentiate and scale our Ting business.
Ideally, you have notable experience with systems automation tools like Salt and Ansible. You develop, test, administer, deploy, and maintain our infrastructure. You are open to giving and receiving feedback, participating in peer reviews and design discussions.
What you’ll be doing:
- Writing and maintaining Salt recipes for new applications.
- Deploying infrastructure that serves thousands of households and businesses.
- Integrating existing systems to make them work together
- Enhancing our monitoring systems to enable the best customer service experience.
- Debugging issues with our DNS, DHCP, radius and monitoring platforms.
Key skills and experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of experience as a systems engineer
- Affinity with networking and a good understanding of protocols like DHCP.
- Experience automating virtual machine deployments with Salt
- Experience with maintaining Proxmox clusters
- Experience with Continuous Integration concepts and tools
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- May be required to be part of an on-call rotation
Nice to have:
- Experience building integrations with 3rd party systems
- Experience with programming languages like Python or scripting languages like Bash
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Exposure to multiple programming languages
- Knowledge of fiber networks a plus
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.