Fiber Construction Manager
Tucows has been working on the Internet since the days when people unironically called it the Information Superhighway.
Today, we’re the second-largest domain wholesaler in the world with tens of millions of domains under management (OpenSRS / Enom). We’re doing all kinds of interesting things, including running an MVNO cell phone service (Ting Mobile) and building true fiber to the premises networks in towns and cities across the US (Ting Internet). We offer individual and small business domains and integration with various popular platforms (Hover/Ascio).
We’re a team of over 600 people serving tens of millions of customers around the world. Our growth has been incredible, smart and measured (NASDAQ: TCX, TSX: TC). Our success is built on a solid technical and financial foundation.
About the opportunity:
Are you ready to be part of an energetic and growing team planning the expansion of crazy-fast internet service in multiple markets across the U.S.? This position resides in each local Ting town and manages all local construction labor including both Ting construction employees and approved construction vendors. All in an effort to build out our fiber network to all serviceable addresses within the town you own.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collaborating closely with the local Fiber Installation Manager to ensure a united approach to managing the local Ting town’s network and all its employees.
- Liaising with the local City Manager to ensure the best possible partnership is developing with city officials and the town’s residents.
- Ensuring all required materials for fiber construction are on-site and accounted for. At times, will need to bridge inventory gaps between local Inventory Specialist and centralized leadership and distribution center.
- Working closely with Network Engineering to provide local oversight to all Network fiber construction, including inspection, network test and accept and project closure.
- Performing as the local specialist and leader associated with Multi Dwelling Unit and Enterprise expansion projects including pre and post sales activities.
- Acting as the local specialist and single point of contact in all fiber restoration efforts.
- Partnering with Technical Training and Safety Manager to ensure your team is well trained and safe in all construction efforts.
- Partnering with Project Manager of Fiber Construction to ensure assigned activities are completed on-time, with quality and within budget.
- Managing site pre-fielding and customer drop process, including 811 tickets, as we stage new underground or aerial drops to residential and business customers.
- Partnering with local Fiber Installation Manager at times when dispatch volumes have overrun our installation resources and construction resources need to assist.
- Participate in local marketing events as needed.
- Host weekly meetings with OSP Technicians and contractors to convey the latest company news, policies and changes.
- All other duties assigned by manager.
A bit about you:
- Outside plant construction experience required
- Outstanding vendor relations required
- Excellent leadership skills required
- Strong entrepreneur spirit required
- Strong communication skills required
- Great customer service skills required
- The ability to assess different construction scenarios, and effectively determine required time, approach and equipment, will be required.
- Experience with constructing fiber to the home (FTTH) networks preferred
- Telecommunications management experience preferred
- 811 dig process experience preferred
- Experience managing multiple team members is important
- Telecom or data wiring experience preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work both indoors and outdoors, and get dirty if need be.
- Comfortable with hand and power tools
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are committed to inclusion across race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We celebrate multiple approaches and diverse points of view.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Tucows is committed to maintaining a diverse work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. If you have any accessibility requirements or concerns regarding the hiring process, please notify us so we can provide suitable accommodation.