Trupanion is a leading provider of medical insurance for cats and dogs in North America. Our mission is to help the pets we all love receive the veterinary care they need. At Trupanion, we offer a collaborative, casual, and pet-friendly environment where everyone is encouraged to be themselves.
The Actuarial Department at Trupanion is recruiting an actuarial professional to work closely with our financial team to produce monthly loss reserves, claims trend, premium and margin reporting including forecast and variance analysis. The position requires resourceful and creative actuarial capabilities, excellent communication, and the ability to deliver high quality and timely work products to both internal and external customers.
Candidates for this position have the option to work remotely from anywhere in Canada.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Work closely with finance through the first 5 business days of the month to close out financials
- Review monthly loss reserves, forecast loss trends and communicate actual findings by market to the appropriate finance and business teams
- Estimate and analyze premiums, monitor and communicate actual deviations from forecast
- Monthly reporting on margins across pricing categories, this includes working with pricing and other business teams identify areas to take action if needed.
- Think creatively and work with limited and emerging data
- Foster effective working relationships with key external & internal business partners across the organization
- Information expert with ability to understand & translate data into meaningful communications
Two or more years of relevant work experience in:
- Reserving and Forecasting (required)
- Pricing/Rate filing (preferred)
Education, Registration & Certification:
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in finance, mathematics, statistics, or another quantitative field.
- Associate or near-Associate in either the CAS/SOA or CIA
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Ability to develop and apply actuarial reserving models
- Experience working with short tail lines of business
- Ability to plan, manage and execute projects often with tight turnaround times
- Resourcefulness, creativity and resilience
- Ability to work with actuaries from variety of backgrounds, both Property & Casualty and Life & Health
- Strong Excel skills, experience in SQL and experience in Tableau (or other data visualization software)
- Highly driven and motivated to work in a fast-paced, results oriented, high-growth environment
Benefits and Perks:
- Bonus opportunities
- Work in a niche line of business with opportunity for innovation in both product and pricing
- Support through CAS/SOA/CIA exam credential process
- Employer-paid extended health coverage for you and your family
- Four weeks paid time off
- Five weeks, paid, sabbatical after five years of employment
- Restricted Stock Units
- Employer-paid medical insurance for one pet (cat or dog)
- Paid time off to volunteer at nonprofit organizations
- Open, casual, pet-friendly, and fun work environment
We’re all about helping pets. We promote a cohesive and nimble team environment, and we hire, develop and promote team members. We trust each other. We are transparent and honest. We care about one another and want to see our team members succeed, personally and professionally. We strive to promote from within and reduce bureaucracy to allow creative thinking. We’re focused on providing continuous training and support to all team members to encourage long-term happiness and success.
Take a look inside our office and see for yourself:
We’re more than insurance – we’re a tech company too! Learn more about how you can use Trupanion to pay your vet directly here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdWZ4KHiPTQ
Trupanion Team DNA:
At Trupanion, we achieve great things together when we are:
- Caring: We are kind to each other and assume positive intent.
- Collaborative: We work together to achieve company goals (we not me).
- Courageous: We are determined, take risks, and make bold moves.
- Curious: We seek new information to continually better ourselves and our work.
- Honest: We believe candid communication leads to successful teamwork.
- Inclusive: We welcome and value all people and perspectives.
- Nimble: We readily adapt and evolve in pursuit of progress and innovation.
For more information about Trupanion, visit http://trupanion.com/about
Trupanion is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, abilities, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.