Trupanion is a leading provider of medical insurance for cats and dogs in North America. Our mission is to help the pets we all love receive the veterinary care they need. At Trupanion, we offer a collaborative, casual, and pet-friendly environment where everyone is encouraged to be themselves.
Trupanion is looking for a dynamic, energetic, and highly curious Accountant who will play a key role in the preparation of journal entries, account recons, and analytics. As a critical member of a rapidly growing public company, this role will work with the finance team to complete monthly close tasks and duties as well as work collaboratively to facilitate cross-functional coordination among teams and departments. This is a hands-on position that drives the improvement of tools, processes, and procedures to allow the company to scale rapidly!
The Accountant will assist with our day to day accounting and have a proven track record to prioritize and manage tasks and projects with competing deadlines. The ideal candidate will organize, maintain, and streamline processes.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Perform monthly close tasks to achieve close, reporting, and filing timelines
- Reconcile Company’s operating cash accounts weekly and prepare final month-end reconciliations for the operating cash and accounts payable accounts.
- Maintain fixed asset records and related amortization. Ensure that fixed asset accounts are reconciled and accurately reflect capital expenditures.
- Calculate Trupanion’s performance indicators for monthly management reporting.
- Prepare entries in accordance with US GAAP and ensure adherence to SOX tasks for related areas
- Prepare internal and external deliverables for SEC reporting, quarterly reviews, and year-end audits
- Analyze monthly financial statements, variance analysis, and gain an understanding of critical metrics to ensure proper internal and external reporting effectively
- Think critically and maintain an inquisitive mentality to recommend, implement, and document process improvements to promote efficiency and SOX compliance
Qualifications (Please include a cover letter with your application!)
Education & Certifications:
- BS/BA degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA and public accounting experience preferred
Experience & Skills:
- 1-2 years of accounting experience preferred, monthly close in a fast-paced and ever-changing business environment a plus
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and Microsoft Dynamics GP a plus
- Ability to creatively problem-solve and passionate about process improvement
Benefits and Perks:
- Bonus opportunities
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits at no cost to the employee
- Four weeks paid time off
- Five-week sabbatical after five years of employment
- Restricted Stock Units
- Open, casual, pet-friendly, and fun office environment
- Free dog walking services for office pets during business hours
- Free medical health insurance for your pet (1 dog or cat)
- Paid time off to volunteer at nonprofit organizations
- Free on-site gym
We’re all about helping pets. We promote a cohesive and nimble team environment, and we hire, develop and promote team members. We trust each other. We are transparent and honest. We care about one another and want to see our team members succeed, personally and professionally. We strive to promote from within and reduce bureaucracy to allow creative thinking. We’re focused on providing continuous training and support to all team members to encourage long-term happiness and success.
Take a look inside our office and see for yourself:
Things We Value
- Caring: We care about each other.
- Adhocracy: An adhocracy is intentionally ‘adhoc’ instead of bureaucratic. Adhocracies value the ability to adapt quickly, flexibility and employee empowerment.
- Trusting: We trust one another with information
- Sincere: We do what we say and say what we mean.
- Devoted: We love pets.
- Original: We are innovative and fair.
- Genuine: We are free to express our true selves.
- Simple: Simple is better.
For more information about Trupanion, visit http://trupanion.com/about
Trupanion is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, abilities, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.