Senior Tax Accountant
Trupanion is a leading provider of medical insurance for cats and dogs in North America. Our mission is to help the pets we all love receive the veterinary care they need. At Trupanion, we offer a collaborative, casual, and pet-friendly environment where everyone is encouraged to be themselves.
Trupanion is looking for a dynamic, energetic, and highly curious Senior Tax Accountant who will play a key role in the preparation of U.S. and Canadian tax returns and the worldwide income tax provision for both US GAAP and NAIC external reporting. As part of a small tax team, the Senior Tax Accountant should have an eagerness to quickly learn about a broad range of taxes and a willingness to help where needed. They will assist with driving the improvement of tools, processes, and procedures to allow the company to rapidly scale.
The Senior Tax Accountant should have a proven track record of independently handling multiple tasks and projects with competing priorities and deadlines, and exhibit collaboration and flexibility under pressure. They should also be able to prioritize communications and requests, and help organize, maintain, and streamline processes
Candidates for this position have the option to work remotely from anywhere in the US, or out of our Seattle office, depending on their preference.
(Please submit a cover letter with your application!)
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Preparation of US federal, state, and Canadian income tax returns and quarterly payments/extensions, performing tax technical research as necessary, and documenting tax positions.
- Preparation of quarterly and year-end income tax provisions in accordance with ASC 740 and SSAP 101.
- Assist with tax related monthly close tasks, including accrual of various taxes, calculating and booking transfer pricing journal entries, and preparation of account reconciliations.
- Preparation of monthly or quarterly sales tax, excise tax, premiums tax, and other returns.
- Interact with tax officials to resolve notices, registrations, annual reports, and/or requests for information and provide support for various tax audits
- Think critically and maintain an inquisitive mentality to recommend, implement, and document process improvements to promote efficiency and compliance
- Develop and maintain knowledge of tax laws and current developments.
- Assist with the development and support of other team members.
Education, Registration & Certification:
- BS/BA degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA and/or Masters in Taxation preferred
- 3+ years of tax experience in a large public accounting firm or large multi-state company
- U.S. Federal, state, or international income tax compliance experience required
- ASC 740 and U.S. GAAP knowledge and experience a plus
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of Excel a plus
- Experience with Onesource Income Tax strongly preferred
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills
- Thorough with a strong analytical ability
- Ability to creatively problem-solve and passionate about process improvement
Benefits and Perks:
- Bonus opportunities
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits at no cost to the employee
- Four weeks paid time off and 9 paid float holidays (you can decide which days are most important to you!)
- Five-week sabbatical after five years of employment
- Restricted Stock Units
- Open, casual, pet-friendly, and fun office environment
- Free medical health insurance for your pet (1 dog or cat)
- Paid time off to volunteer at nonprofit organizations
- Seattle Office Amenities: Free on-site gym, free dog walking services for office pets during business hours, free parking, and paid ORCA cards.
We’re all about helping pets. We promote a cohesive and nimble team environment, and we hire, develop and promote team members. We trust each other. We are transparent and honest. We care about one another and want to see our team members succeed, personally and professionally. We strive to promote from within and reduce bureaucracy to allow creative thinking. We’re focused on providing continuous training and support to all team members to encourage long-term happiness and success.
Take a look inside our office and see for yourself: https://www.facebook.com/Trupanion/videos/10155423763702974/
We’re more than insurance – we’re a tech company too! Learn more about how you can use Trupanion to pay your vet directly here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdWZ4KHiPTQ
Trupanion Team DNA:
At Trupanion, we achieve great things together when we are:
- Caring: We are kind to each other and assume positive intent.
- Collaborative: We work together to achieve company goals (we not me).
- Courageous: We are determined, take risks, and make bold moves.
- Curious: We seek new information to continually better ourselves and our work.
- Honest: We believe candid communication leads to successful teamwork.
- Inclusive: We welcome and value all people and perspectives.
- Nimble: We readily adapt and evolve in pursuit of progress and innovation.
For more information about Trupanion, visit http://trupanion.com/about
Trupanion is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, abilities, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations.