Senior Manager, Financial Reporting & Technical Accounting
Trupanion is a leading provider of medical insurance for cats and dogs in North America. Our mission is to help the pets we all love receive the veterinary care they need. At Trupanion, we offer a collaborative, casual, and pet-friendly environment where everyone is encouraged to be themselves.
The Senior Manager of Financial Reporting is a key leader of the finance and accounting Team at Trupanion, leading the financial reporting and technical accounting functions. This role has a high level of visibility throughout the organization and with the executive leadership team. We are looking for an individual with strong technical and leadership skills who can contribute to our team both as a mentor to our other finance and accounting team members and as a subject matter expert on financial reporting and technical accounting.
This team member could work remotely from anywhere in the United States at first, but longer-term would be required to work out of our Seattle Headquarters (at least part-time).
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Ownership of quarterly, annual and periodic SEC filings including 10-Q’s and 10-K’s. Work closely with the legal department on the annual Proxy Statement and periodic 8-K filings.
- Research technical accounting issues, including new accounting guidance, and provide guidance and documentation on how this will impact Trupanion’s financial reporting and operations.
- Manage areas of accounting that are highly technical in nature, including accounting for insurance contracts, revenue recognition, share-based compensation, statement of cash flows, and accounting for one-time and unusual transactions.
- Periodically present hot topics and technical analysis to senior leadership and the Audit Committee.
- Ensure corporate disclosure controls are appropriately designed and operating.
- Manage external auditors’ work on annual audits and quarter reviews.
- Mentor and direct a team of talented financial reporting individuals to ensure team goals are met and individual team members are fulfilling their career goals.
Qualifications (Please include a cover letter with your application!)
Education, Registration & Certification:
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA license preferred, but not required
- 7+ years of relevant experience required, including 2 or more years managing a team preferred
- Experience with SEC reporting either as a preparer or an external auditor required
- Experience with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance required
- Property and casualty insurance statutory accounting and reporting experience preferred, but not required
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP and IFRS; knowledge of property and casualty insurance accounting is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience documenting technical accounting assessments
- Energetic and highly motivated, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail a must
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to troubleshoot problems and recognize areas for process improvements
Benefits and Perks:
- Bonus opportunities
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits at no cost to the employee
- Four weeks paid time off and 9 paid float holidays (you can decide which days are most important to you!)
- Five-week sabbatical after five years of employment
- Restricted Stock Units
- Open, casual, pet-friendly, and fun office environment
- Free medical health insurance for your pet (1 dog or cat)
- Paid time off to volunteer at nonprofit organizations
- Seattle Office Amenities: Free on-site gym, free dog walking services for office pets during business hours, free parking, and paid ORCA cards.
We’re all about helping pets. We promote a cohesive and nimble team environment, and we hire, develop and promote team members. We trust each other. We are transparent and honest. We care about one another and want to see our team members succeed, personally and professionally. We strive to promote from within and reduce bureaucracy to allow creative thinking. We’re focused on providing continuous training and support to all team members to encourage long-term happiness and success.
Take a look inside our office and see for yourself:
Trupanion Team DNA:
At Trupanion, we achieve great things together when we are:
- Caring: We are kind to each other and assume positive intent.
- Collaborative: We work together to achieve company goals (we not me).
- Courageous: We are determined, take risks, and make bold moves.
- Curious: We seek new information to continually better ourselves and our work.
- Honest: We believe candid communication leads to successful teamwork.
- Inclusive: We welcome and value all people and perspectives.
- Nimble: We readily adapt and evolve in pursuit of progress and innovation.
For more information about Trupanion, visit http://trupanion.com/about
Trupanion is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, abilities, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations.