Trupanion is a leading provider of medical insurance for cats and dogs in North America. Our mission is to help the pets we all love receive the veterinary care they need. At Trupanion, we offer a collaborative, casual, and pet-friendly environment where everyone is encouraged to be themselves.
Trupanion is looking for a Senior Accountant who will play a key role in the preparation and review of financial information for internal decision-making and external reporting. As a critical member of a rapidly growing, public company, this role will serve as a primary contact to other departments in the organization and will work collaboratively to facilitate coordination among teams and departments with a focus on capitalized software development. This position will assist with driving the improvement of tools, processes, and procedures to allow the company to rapidly scale.
The Senior Accountant will have a proven ability to independently lead multiple tasks and projects with competing priorities and deadlines, prioritize communications and requests, and organize, maintain, and streamline processes. This is a rapidly growing team and this role will have a lot of potential for future career growth!
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Assist in the coordination of monthly close tasks, milestones and drive overall team deadlines for timely reporting, while also facilitating communication and resolving issues during the close process
- Assist in the coordination, tracking, and completion of monthly, quarterly, and annual SOX tasks
- Review internal and external deliverables for SEC reporting, quarterly reviews and year-end audits
- Perform and assist with our day to day operational accounting and monthly close process
- Prepare complex entries in accordance with US GAAP as well as provide timely and accurate review of journal entries and reconciliations
- Analyze monthly financial statements, variance analysis, and demonstrate a strong understanding of KPIs to effectively ensure proper internal and external reporting
- Prepare and review monthly internal reporting deliverables distributed to leadership for key decision-making
- Think critically and maintain an inquisitive attitude to recommend, implement, and document operational improvements to promote efficiency and SOX compliance
- Provide leadership by supporting, mentoring, and coaching accounting staff and specialists
- Communicate and check-in with the team about new processes to facilitate learning
- Be a “go-to” person for questions from team members for coaching and other areas
- Work on a variety of special projects
Qualifications (Please include a cover letter with your application!)
- BS/BA degree in Accounting or Finance
- 3+ years of accounting experience, monthly close in a fast-paced and ever changing business environment a plus
- Experience with GAAP, financial statements, and the ability to understand technical accounting concepts and topics
- CPA and public accounting experience preferred
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and Microsoft Dynamics GP a plus
- Well-developed oral and written communication ability
- Strong analytical ability and detail-oriented
- Ability to creatively problem-solve and passionate about process innovation,
Benefits and Perks:
- Bonus opportunities
- Full medical, dental and vision benefits at no cost to the employee
- Four weeks paid time off
- Five-week sabbatical after five years of employment
- Restricted Stock Units
- Open, casual, pet-friendly and fun office environment
- Free dog walking services for office pets during business hours
- Free medical health insurance for your pet (1 dog or cat)
- Paid time off to volunteer at nonprofit organizations
- Free on-site gym
We’re all about helping pets. We promote a cohesive and nimble team environment, and we hire, develop and promote team members. We trust each other. We are transparent and honest. We care about one another and want to see our team members succeed, personally and professionally. We strive to promote from within and reduce bureaucracy to allow creative thinking. We’re focused on providing continuous training and support to all team members to encourage long-term happiness and success.
Take a look inside our office and see for yourself:
Things We Value
- Caring: We care about each other.
- Adhocracy: An adhocracy is intentionally ‘adhoc’ instead of bureaucratic. Adhocracies value the ability to adapt quickly, flexibility and employee empowerment.
- Trusting: We trust one another with information
- Sincere: We do what we say and say what we mean.
- Devoted: We love pets.
- Original: We are innovative and fair.
- Genuine: We are free to express our true selves.
- Simple: Simple is better.
For more information about Trupanion, visit http://trupanion.com/about
Trupanion is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, abilities, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.