Senior Tax Accountant
Trupanion is a leading provider of medical insurance for cats and dogs in North America. Our mission is to help the pets we all love receive the veterinary care they need. At Trupanion, we offer a collaborative, casual, and pet-friendly environment where everyone is encouraged to be themselves.
Trupanion is looking for a dynamic, energetic and highly curious Senior Tax Accountant who will play a key role in the preparation of U.S. and Canadian tax returns and the worldwide income tax provision for both US GAAP and NAIC external reporting. The Senior Tax Accountant will report to the Director of Tax (head of tax). As part of a small tax team, the Senior Tax Accountant must have an eagerness to quickly learn about a broad range of taxes and will assist with driving the improvement of tools, processes, and procedures to allow the company to rapidly scale.
The Senior Tax Accountant will have a proven ability to independently manage multiple tasks and projects with competing priorities and deadlines, prioritize communications and requests, and organize, maintain, and streamline processes.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Preparation of US federal, state, and Canadian income tax returns and quarterly payments/extensions, performing tax technical research as necessary and documenting tax positions.
- Preparation of quarterly and year-end income tax provision in accordance with ASC 740 and SSAP 101.
- Assist with tax related monthly close tasks, including accrual of various taxes, calculating and booking transfer pricing journal entries, and preparation of account reconciliations.
- Preparation of monthly or quarterly sales tax, excise tax, premiums tax, and other returns.
- Interact with tax officials to resolve notices, registrations, annual reports and/or requests for information and provide support for various tax audits
- Think critically and maintain an inquisitive mindset to recommend, implement, and document process improvements to promote efficiency and compliance
- Develop and maintain knowledge of federal, state, and international tax laws and current developments.
- Work on a variety of special projects
Qualifications (Please include a cover letter with your application!)
Education, Registration & Certification:
- BS/BA degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA and/or Masters in Taxation preferred
- 3+ years of tax experience in large public accounting firm or large multi-state company
- Federal and/or State income tax compliance experience required
- ASC 740 and U.S. GAAP knowledge and experience preferred
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of Excel a plus
- Well-developed oral and written communication ability
- Strong analytical ability and detail-oriented
- Ability to creatively problem solve and passionate about process improvement
- Experience with Onesource Income Tax strongly preferred
Benefits and Perks:
- Bonus opportunities
- Full medical, dental and vision benefits at no cost to the employee
- Four weeks paid time off
- Five-week sabbatical after five years of employment
- Restricted Stock Units
- Open, casual, pet-friendly and fun office environment
- Free dog walking services for office pets during business hours
- Free medical health insurance for your pet (1 dog or cat)
- Paid time off to volunteer at nonprofit organizations
- Free on-site gym
We’re all about helping pets. We promote a cohesive and nimble team environment, and we hire, develop and promote team members. We trust each other. We are transparent and honest. We care about one another and want to see our team members succeed, personally and professionally. We strive to promote from within and reduce bureaucracy to allow creative thinking. We’re focused on providing continuous training and support to all team members to encourage long-term happiness and success.
Take a look inside our office and see for yourself:
Things We Value
- Caring: We care about each other.
- Adhocracy: An adhocracy is intentionally ‘adhoc’ instead of bureaucratic. Adhocracies value the ability to adapt quickly, flexibility and employee empowerment.
- Trusting: We trust one another with information
- Sincere: We do what we say and say what we mean.
- Devoted: We love pets.
- Original: We are innovative and fair.
- Genuine: We are free to express our true selves.
- Simple: Simple is better.
For more information about Trupanion, visit http://trupanion.com/about
Trupanion is an equal opportunity employer and embraces diversity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, abilities, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.