Field Mountain Bike Trainer & Representative
Trek Bicycle is a global leader in the design and manufacture of bicycles and related products. Trek believes the bicycle can be a simple solution to many of the world’s most complex problems and is committed to breaking down the barriers that prevent people from using bicycles more often for transportation, recreation, and inspiration.
Our mission is to create products we love and take care of our customers. We value our team, making sure the best is on the field. We value new ideas from anywhere, inspiring others with our positive energy, dealing with reality to make the tough calls, and getting things done fast- turning ideas into reality.
Come, join us, and help us transform the world, the bike and have a blast while doing it!
A Field Mountain Bike Trainer & Representative is the person on the ground, in the trenches, on the dirt, and in bike shops delivering the MTB agenda of the best bicycle company in the world. We’re looking for the person who wakes up in the morning thinking about how they can get more people mountain biking, and they dedicate their whole day to making it happen. If you’ve been accused of preaching dirt church like it’s a gospel, you might fit the bill. If you’re idea of a chill evening is wrenching on a fleet of bikes until they’re buzzing like new, you might be who we’re looking for. If you get more pleasure out of someone else falling in love with mountain biking than you do out of riding yourself, we’re on the right track.
This position is tasked with the mission of education, experience, and hospitality to help our network of amazing bike shops spread MTB love and get more people riding Trek mountain bikes. How does one accomplish such a righteous mission? Here’s what a day-in-the life might look like:
- Wake up somewhere near a mountain; probably a rocky one.
- Teach courses to retail staff on mountain bike product knowledge, selling skills, technical knowledge, and basic setup/maintenance
- Head to the local trails and go for a ride with retailer staff – using the ride experience to teach the finer points of how different models compare, and what type of rider will love each type of bike
- Clean up and tune your fleet of bikes, so they’re in prime condition for your next group of best friends.
- Work with retailers to host consumer demo events
- Send a report back to the mothership of what you did this week, how it made a difference, and what your plan is for next week.
- Rest your sleepy head... Tomorrow is a demo event where you’ll show prospective customers a great time riding the trails on your amazing bikes.
This position is the face of Trek Bicycle and the retailers that sell Trek products. It requires a professional, fun, and “always on” demeanor. The MTB trainer must be flexible, resourceful, and solution-oriented; always ready to adapt to whatever situation presents itself. The job requires equal parts MTB technical knowledge, mechanical skills, riding aptitude, and teaching ability. Above all, the ideal candidate brings a high-energy, hospitality mindset to every event, every person, every day.
Other duties and responsibilities include:
- Maintain fleet of demo bikes and equipment to the highest standards
- Maintain clean driving record and follow DOT regulations
- Keep and maintain an accurate inventory of your fleet and schedule of events online
- Keep accurate driver log and follow mandatory reports per fleet manager
- Communication with headquarters including weekly conference calls and weekly recaps
- Secure required event permits and event insurance
- Coordinate and plan with retailers and headquarters on mountain bike events
- Other duties as needed
An ideal candidate will have the following qualifications or equivalent skills
- 3+ years of experience in the cycling, outdoors industry or related field
- 2+ years bicycle mechanical skills or completed basic maintenance course
- Understand and can explain both traditional and electric mountain bikes
- Working knowledge of all competitive brands in the marketplace
- Knowledge of bicycling laws in the states that are included in assigned territory
- Clean and safe driving record. Trailer towing experience preferred
- Must pass DOT physical and drug testing
- Enjoy traveling as a major component of the job
- Intermediate to Advanced Riding skills (mountain)
- Must be friendly, outgoing and able to speak comfortably to any group size
- Basic computer skills proficient in Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, internet navigation and reporting
- First Responder or previous medical training (CPR, WFA, WFR, etc.) preferred but not required
- Post-secondary education; graduate preferred but not required -
- Must be able to pass physical and lift 30lbs over your head
We are an E-Verify employer.