Helmet Research and Product Development Engineer
Trek Bicycle is a global leader in the design and manufacture of bicycles and related products. Trek believes the bicycle can be a simple solution to many of the world’s most complex problems and is committed to breaking down the barriers that prevent people from using bicycles more often for transportation, recreation, and inspiration.
Our mission is to create products we love and take care of our customers. We value our team, making sure the best is on the field. We value new ideas from anywhere, inspiring others with our positive energy, dealing with reality to make the tough calls, and getting things done fast- turning ideas into reality.
Come, join us, and help us transform the world, the bike and have a blast while doing it!
We are looking for an engineer to take the lead on helmet research and product development projects. They will do this by supporting members of the Bontrager helmet team by providing technical expertise in product research, design, and engineering execution.
We need an awesome individual to design, develop and prototype the next generation of safe and high-performance helmets, both in R&D and production. Learn, create, and implement the engineering tools that will enable you and your teammates to be successful in creating those helmets.
Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
- Plan and perform engineering research, design, testing and development tasks for Bontrager helmet products of varying complexity and variety in a team environment.
- Understanding of bicycle helmet impact testing and analysis of testing to further develop products is desired.
- Serve as a technical expert in helmet design and safety for other departments such as the Product Management and legal.
- Select, evaluate, analyze, and develop new materials including polymers and plastics that increase the performance and safety of Bontrager helmet products.
- Proficient with 3D printing and computer aided engineering tools including solid modeling and simulation. The ability to understand advanced mathematical modeling and analysis programs such as FEA and CFD is a plus.
- Design, develop, prototype and test ride new and unique Bontrager helmet products.
- Have a proactive based approach and effectively balance multiple projects, responsibilities, and tasks.
- Assist legal department with patents and related issues for new and existing product.
- Able to use judgment and independent thinking in the resolution of issues and in the interpretation of data.
- Create and develop engineering specification packages that effectively communicate to internal and external partners to ensure products meet given project parameters.
- Coordinate engineering activities with global teammates and travel as necessary both domestically and internationally.
Additional desired skills and responsibilities:
- Work in conjunction with Trek Factory Racing teams to develop appropriate Bontrager and Trek product that performs at the highest level.
- Develop collaborative relationships by working with vendors and internal customers.
- Suggest new materials and processes to improve Bontrager and Trek products. Keep in contact with vendors to discuss new helmet technology and improvements.
- Troubleshoot performance and quality issues by identifying methods for evaluating problems and work towards solutions through cross functional teams.
- Stay informed of new helmet technology through contact with vendor personnel and reading technical publications.
- Initiate and evaluate Bontrager helmet product performance through research and development programs in conjunction with testing development
- 5-10 years' experience in an engineering related filed with a high degree of R&D focus and product development
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Engineering or Equivalent
- Post graduate studies or work experience in materials science or engineering related field is a plus
Flexible and fun company culture
Competitive health care
Flexible holiday schedule – 10 company holidays
Competitive vacation package
Tuition Reimbursement up to $15,000! (Undergraduate & Masters programs)
Employee discounts on all product
Deep partner retail discounts
We are an E-Verify employer.