Position: Japan Financial Controller
- Ensuring compliance to internal/external regulations & policies;
- Overseeing & assisting with the daily process/transactions of the team to ensure the 1. Point is met, and process improvements & efficiencies are sought.
- Being the contact point for Finance. Being able to talk with Trek US, APAC team & internal Japan team on any finance point (may defer to staff for specific details), and present the financials in a simplistic way. This involves being able to access & analyse information in a timely manner to support decision making.
- Overseeing financial and management accounts preparation; 20%
- Interpreting financial results; 20%
- Managing compliance (internal & external, financial, tax, audit & reporting) 25%
- Preparation of the annual budget and overseeing budgetary control; 6 weeks per year.
- Monitoring cash flow; 5%
- Business modelling and forecasting; 5%
- Pro-actively identify opportunities to improve business process’ and seeking efficiencies. Daily.
- Assessing the financial implications of new or existing business strategies; 5%.
- Leading, or working on, projects; Adhoc. ~10%
- Liaising with other members of the team and across the business; Daily.
- Supervising, mentoring & developing staff. Daily.
A day in the life of a Controller
- 100% of their day will be in excel. This includes using BI (our reporting cube tool). I currently have 4 excel spreadsheet’s open.
- 90% of their day will be in ERP System.
- Power Point is also heavily used. Probably about 5% of the month… i.e. month end reporting & pulling together presentation or slides.
The Japan Financial Controller will report directly to the Asia Pacific Finance Director and the Trek Japan Country Manager.
Start Date and Location
Asap, Shukugawa, Hyogo
The Japan Financial Controller will be expected to travel overseas 1 to 2 times per year, as well as domestic as required.
Experience and Qualifications
- Qualified accountant with a minimum of 8 years post qualification experience
- 5 years practical Financial Controller experience in general finance, tax and accounting
- Experience working in an international company
- Experience in explaining accounting concepts to non-accountants
- Experience with an ERP system (SAP, JDE etc)
- Strong excel skills & comfortable with systems
- Business fluent English
- Previous experience in a ‘closing books’ hands-on role. I.e. having previously acted as Controller, Finance Manager, Accountant.
- Ideally in an organization with small finance team, as this means they would have had to be more hands-on & broader in their role.
Expectations of type of person we are looking for
- Passion for the detail & be able to explain/communicate it confidently & simply.
- Ultimate DRI for any finance questions, tasks required. This role will be the contact point for any Finance related questions & needs to be knowledgeable enough to answer;
- Should be able to ‘cover’ should their staff be on leave. No problem getting ‘hands-on’ & should be able to close the month end if needed. Note, both our AU & KR controllers did this within the 3rd month of them starting, as well as presented on the month end calls with APAC/US.
- Understand the detail. Without this, they won’t be able to support their staff & seek process improvements needed;
- The buck stops with this person. If there is a finance mistake or problem to fix, deadline missed etc, don’t blame your staff or make excuses. Just get it fixed & ensure steps are put in place that it doesn’t happen again.
- Be able to confidently present on the Trek Japan business (in Japanese & English), and feel comfortable to professionally challenge back if you don’t feel necessary.
We are an E-Verify employer.