BCycle Mechanic - Part-Time
Trek Bicycle is a global leader in the design and manufacture of bicycles and related products. Trek believes the bicycle can be a simple solution to many of the world’s most complex problems and is committed to breaking down the barriers that prevent people from using bicycles more often for transportation, recreation, and inspiration.
Madison BCycle, a subsidiary of Trek Bicycle Corporation, has been Madison Wisconsin’s bike share provider since 2011. In 2019, Madison BCycle launched the first full fleet conversion to electric bikes. We offer modern and innovative Bosch equipped BCycle Electric bikes. With 300 E-bikes and 45 stations across campus and downtown, Madison BCycle is getting more people riding and transforming how people use bike share for personal mobility, transportation and exploring the beautiful city of Madison, WI.
Madison BCycle is looking for an energetic, self-motivated mechanic to join the team to help maintain and grow our fleet of e-bikes. We are looking for someone with strong bike mechanic skills – who loves problem solving and wrenching on bikes. We are building an awesome team and are looking for people with a positive and friendly attitude to join us! As employees of Trek Bicycle, Madison BCycle team members are eligible for employee product discounts.
- Inspect and evaluate electric bicycles for safety, function and cleanliness
- Prioritize and assist lead mechanic with e-bike repairs in shop to ensure that BCycle Electric bikes are returned to operation in good condition as soon as possible
- Oversee in-field inspection maintenance (two-week inspection tickets) during operation season
- Help with new bike assembly and assist in training other staff
- Help collect repair data to achieve continuous improvement in fleet reliability
- Maintain clean and organized tools and shop workspace
- Keep inventory of tools and replacement parts needed for in-season maintenance and off-season bike overhauls
- Seek continuous improvements and make suggestions (great ideas come from anywhere)
- Work under guidance of Tech Operation Manager
- Perform as BCycle Tech as needed to support field operations including but not limited to balancing system, performing battery swaps, kiosk battery swaps, event support, and other necessary BCycle Tech tasks (as listed below)
- Electric bike battery swapping
- Balancing the system (moving bikes around)
- Customer service/interaction (questions on the street)
- Operating/maintaining sprinter van (clean and running)
- Bikes maintenance (two-week inspections, basic repairs, annual overhauls)
- Maintaining stations (some troubleshooting, replacing parts, winterizing, batteries)
- Installation and removal of stations
- Events (prepping e-bikes, set up, tabling, tear down)
- Ability to adapt to changing roles
- Impressive attention to detail and proven bike mechanic experience, e-bike experience a plus
- Must be able to lift 55 lbs. or more regularly throughout the workday
- The position does not require a degree, but a clean driving record is a must
- Positive attitude and self-motivation are a requirement to Get Stuff Done
- Small team skills and a willingness to have fun while completing the goals are a must!
- Evening and weekend availability and flexible scheduling
- Schedule will vary depending on the season
- Position start date: ASAP – November 2021
We are an E-Verify employer.