Industrial Designer - Helmets
Trek Bicycle is a global leader in the design and manufacture of bicycles and related products. Trek believes the bicycle can be a simple solution to many of the world’s most complex problems and is committed to breaking down the barriers that prevent people from using bicycles more often for transportation, recreation, and inspiration.
Our mission is to create products we love and take care of our customers. We value our team, making sure the best is on the field. We value new ideas from anywhere, inspiring others with our positive energy, dealing with reality to make the tough calls, and getting things done fast- turning ideas into reality.
Come, join us, and help us transform the world, the bike and have a blast while doing it!
Trek is seeking a motivated, talented Industrial Designer who is passionate about consumer-centered design. You will be involved in the design and development of bicycle helmets in a high energy, creative, multi-disciplinary environment. You'll be challenged to design products that perform at the highest level, are production ready, and highly valued by riders.
As a designer at Trek your purpose is to create great ride experiences. You work together with a world class product development team to provide forward thinking concepts and design direction for bicycles components, and accessory products. A designer in this position is engaged in rider research, concept planning, design refinement, and production support. The ideal candidate will possess exceptional design, problem solving, communication, and visualization skills, and excel in a multi-functional team culture. Experience with Solid Works, Rhino 3D and Adobe systems are highly desired – awesome visual communication skills are a necessity.
- Follow the Product Development process.
- Define aspects of form, geometry, aesthetics, mechanical parameters, fit, function, end user interface, and meet defined expectations for product features, cost, manufacturability, and production schedules.
- Communicate concepts, developmental work, and finalized design solutions by methods meeting the specific needs of each project. Communication formats can include, but are not limited to, artistic renderings, CAD models, physical models, multi-media presentations, and written reports.
- Initiate and direct the development of models and prototypes to test and qualify key product characteristics, manufacturability, and aesthetics.
- Prepare and present new product concepts, internally and externally as needed.
- Maintain a working knowledge of material and process technologies applicable to new product development.
- Communicate effectively with teammates, internal and external resources to ensure new product development success.
- Proven ability at solving complex design problems with simple and elegant solutions
- Good mechanical and structural aptitude, and knowledge of various materials and their associated manufacturing processes
- Strong sketching and 2D communication skills
- Proficient in all phases of product development: research, ideation, sketching, concept refinement
- 3D modeling skills and a solid understanding of the manufacturing process
- SolidWorks and Rhino 3D modeling skills are a big plus
- Digital Sketching - Sketchbook Pro skills are a big plus
- Self-motivated and ready to take the initiative to get things done
- 2+ years of post-graduate, professional design experience
- Bachelor's degree/diploma in Industrial Design or Product Design
- Competency in Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop, Microsoft PowerPoint
- Willing to travel for research, development, and inspiration
- Flexible and fun company culture
- Competitive health care
- Flexible holiday schedule – 10 company holidays
- Competitive vacation package
- 401k Match
- ESOP program
- Tuition Reimbursement up to $15,000 (Undergraduate & Masters programs)
- Employee discounts on all product
- Deep partner retail discounts
We are an E-Verify employer.