Bike Industrial Designer
A bit about us
Trek is an awesome place to work, with amazing benefits for all employees. We build only products we love, provide incredible hospitality to our customers, and change the world by getting more people on bikes. When you’re on our team, you’re taken care of, encouraged to learn and grow, and given lots of opportunities to do so. Give us your best, and we’ll give it right back. Sound pretty sweet? Then come join us!
Trek is currently hiring in multiple studios, including road, mountain, city, e-systems, tires/wheels, and helmet categories. As a designer at Trek your purpose is to create great ride experiences. You work together within a world class product development team to provide forward thinking concepts and design direction for bicycles and components. A designer in this position is engaged in rider research, concept development, design refinement, and production support. The ideal candidate will possess exceptional design, problem solving, communication, and visualization skills, and excel in a multi-functional team culture. Experience with both surface modeling in 3D CAD and Adobe systems are highly desired – awesome visual communication skills are a necessity.
- Follow the Product Development process.
- Aggressively pursue rider insights to inform design solutions.
- Define aspects of form, geometry, aesthetics, mechanical parameters, fit, function, end user interface, and meet defined expectations for product features, cost, manufacturability, and production schedules.
- Communicate concepts, developmental work, and finalized design solutions by methods meeting the specific needs of each project. Communication formats can include, but are not limited to, artistic renderings, CAD models, physical models, multi-media presentations, and written reports.
- Initiate and direct the development of models and prototypes to test and qualify key product characteristics, manufacturability, and aesthetics.
- Prepare and present new product concepts, internally and externally as needed.
- Maintain a working knowledge of material and process technologies applicable to new product development.
- Collaborate effectively with teammates, and internal and external resources to ensure new product development success.
- 2+ years of post-graduate, professional design experience.
- Bachelor's degree/diploma in Industrial Design or Product Design
- Proven ability at solving complex design problems with simple and elegant solutions
- Good mechanical and structural aptitude, and knowledge of various materials and their associated manufacturing processes.
- Strong sketching and 2D communication skills
- Proficient in all phases of product development: research, ideation, sketching, concept refinement.
- Proficient in 2D and 3D CAD solid and surface modeling. SolidWorks, OnShape, Rhino, Sketchbook Pro, Adobe skills are a big plus
- Self-motivated and ready to take the initiative to get things done
- Willingness to travel for research, development, and inspiration
- A work hard/play hard attitude. This is a fun place to work, and we expect you to love what you do!
Flexible and fun company culture
Competitive health care
PPO & HDHP medical plan options, Dental insurance, Vision insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Free life insurance & optional term life insurance
Competitive vacation package
401(k) with match and Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
12 weeks of maternity leave with 100% pay
Flexible holiday schedule – 10 company holidays
Tuition Reimbursement up to $15,000! (Undergraduate & Masters programs)
Employee discounts on all product
Deep partner retail discounts
We are an E-Verify employer.