- Identifies, collects and labels blood specimens according to procedures.
- Utilizes various venipuncture devices.
- Adheres to infection control guidelines: uses good handwashing technique, adheres to isolation policy, cleaning equipment between patients.
- Performs blood specimen collection for adult patients.
- Performs blood specimen collection for pediatric and infant patients.
- Ensures communication is appropriate to the age and status of the patient.
- Prioritizes and coordinates work to achieve maximum productivity and efficiency.
- Draws TC, Pre-OP and STAT specimens within the stated practice.
TC specimens within 15 minutes of scheduled time.
STATs and Pre-OP specimens within 15 minutes of order; sends to Lab immediately.
- Performs up to 6 venipunctures per hour.
- Meets blood culture contamination rate of < 1.0%.
- Meets practice standard for specimen quality (hemolysis, clotted and QNS specimen rates).
- Performs clerical and computer-related documentation accurately.
- Ensures quality specimen draws by contacting Lab if unsure of specimen requirement and follows pre-analytic processes for specimen stability.
- Uses the appropriate hand off communication techniques (SBAR) when appropriate.
- Reviews notification tools in the department daily to stay current with changes and issues. Reviews e-mail and responds as needed.
- Demonstrates an active problem solving attitude & positive approach to all aspects of job
- Maintains safe work area by observing all safety procedures and reporting any unsafe conditions or practices to the appropriate personnel.
- Participates in hospital performance improvement activities (kaizens, lean initiatives) when appropriate.