|The Radiation Therapist administers prescribed doses of ionizing radiation for the treatment of cancer under the general supervision of the Lead Therapist or Manager and in accordance with the orders of the Radiation Oncologist.|
- Uses ALARA and safety principle at all times.
- Displays flexibility, team spirit, compassion, respect, politeness and accountability when dealing with customers.
- Provides healthcare services in own job category to the following age groups: adults and geriatrics.
- Demonstrates competency in interpersonal relationships with all age groups as applicable to job functions.
- Completes all assigned procedures in a timely manner and uses time between procedures to department advantage assisting others, clerical duties, stocking, transporting, etc
- Answers telephone inquiries of a technical nature from physicians, patients and hospital personnel.
- Maintains a safe working environment: Keeps work area clean and free of hazards. Alerts appropriate resource of faulty or broken equipment. Observes all safety guidelines. Recognizes and reports unsafe acts
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for own professional growth and practice. This includes maintaining current licensure and completing educational requirements.
- Adheres to infection control guidelines: uses good handwashing technique, adheres to isolation policy, cleaning equipment between patients.
- Transports and moves patients using appropriate body mechanics and safety precautions. Demonstrates knowledge and practice of safe patient handling devices.
- Follows Universal Protocol by using two patient identifiers prior to working with patient.
- Stocks treatment room supplies and linen as needed.
Department Specific Competencies
- Reviews daily treatment record prior to treatment.
- Positions patients with the aid of positioning lasers and localizes patients with the aid of KV and Cone-Beam CT images.
- Reviews portal images, verifies image approval by Radiation Oncologist and initiates changes as necessary.
- Takes MV, KV / KV, and Cone Beam CT images to localize patient's isocenter
- Verifies the accuracy of the patient setup prior to treatment delivery.
- Checks accuracy of treatment dose daily and signs off in electronic medical records (EMR)
- Verifies treatment console readouts and settings prior to initiating treatment and upon the termination of treatment.
- Administers prescribed radiation therapy treatments to patients safely and accurately.
- Completes procedures and bill appropriate codes in EMR daily.
- Checks the accuracy of completed procedure codes and reviews charges daily.
- Reports deviations from the planned treatment to appropriate personnel.
- Maintains the hygiene of treatment devices.
- Provides clinical instruction to radiation therapy students.
- Attends seminars and training sessions necessary to maintain appropriate level of professional competence.
- Schedules patients for daily treatments.
- Attends all required in-services.
- Participates in departmental and hospital performance improvement activities (BPI projects, task forces, etc) when appropriate.
|Graduate from an accredited school of Radiation Therapy Technology.|
|Number of Years Experience||Type of Experience|
License / Certification Requirements
|CDPH license in Therapeutic Radiology Technology|
|BCLS or ACLS Certification from the American Heart Association|