Senior Catastrophe Risk Analyst
Tokio Marine HCC is a leading specialty insurance company with a global footprint supporting the many things in life we cherish. Love hamburgers and corn on the cob, seeing your favorite musician in an amazing venue, maybe even attending a football game? I bet you never realized there is an entire industry dedicated to ensuring peace of mind for all the big and little things in life. At Tokio Marine HCC we invite you to be part of the collaboration between minds, striving together to lead the specialty insurance field.
We are looking to hire a passionate and experienced Catastrophe Risk Analyst who will leverage expertise of catastrophe risk assessment best practices as applied in insurance industry using catastrophe models and related tools with potential to lead established risk analytics functions supporting Tokio Marine Holdings ERM and provide catastrophe risk analytical support, training, market intelligence, and solution development to Tokio Marine Group Companies via Nat Cat Center of Excellence.
What you will do:
• CORE COMPETENCIES: Demonstrates expertise and understanding of best practices to use commercial catastrophe models and related tools with ability to lead established risk analytics functions and help train junior staff. Project management is not required but preferred and dependent on individual aptitude. Shows continual growth in core expertise is cat modeling analytics, related statistics and financial modeling, ability to interpret and communicate output for varying use cases while leveraging understanding of science and engineering implemented in vendor catastrophe models. Communicate with TM Group Company risk analysts, exposure management and capital modeling teams for ongoing data calls and other inquiries with oversight.
• ANALYSIS: Provide analyses of property insurance exposure data as expert user of catastrophe models and related software. Assess data quality of exposure data. Manipulate and prepare large databases of property insurance data to run catastrophe models (e.g. RMS and AIR), analyze loss estimates and present the results to internal and external stakeholders via reports, exhibits, maps and graphs and formal presentations. Lead preparation of reports and clearly communicate risk analytics to stakeholders. Ability to thoroughly QA to ensure reliable Nat Cat Risk Analytics and support peer reviews for junior staff.
• TMHD ERM SUPPORT: Ability to lead Exposure Management, Event Response or related analytical functions with support from team members or junior staff. Support Enterprise Exposure Management performing accumulation analytics on Group Company exposure data, preparing reports, & summarizing exposure movements. Support Event Response analytics reporting exposure impact and loss estimation for industry and Group Companies. Support TMHD standard capital modeling through cat model standardization, loss accumulation and model blending, and analytics and analytical research supporting model validation and reviewing group company views of risk. Provide analytical support for climate change impact assessment on group company exposure and internal model validation and enhancement.
• NAT CAT CENTER OF EXCELLENCE: Support Tokio Marine Group Company Nat Cat inquiries and risk analytics and training, maintain inventories of vendor and broker catastrophe models and vendor products and data sources. Support market intelligence efforts in Nat Cat shared groupwide.
• SOLUTION DEVELOPMENT: Support analytical research toward the development of practical solutions, sometimes in coordination with software developers or vendors, to quantify catastrophe risk for internal use and use by stakeholders in TM group.
• COMMUNICATION: Produce accurate, clear, professional, and detailed results via reports, exhibits and presentations.
• OTHER: Strong technical, analytical and communication skills. Technical skills include Excel, SQL, GIS, & programming skills (R/Python) preferred.
What we are looking for:
• Bachelors/ Master's degree in Applied Science/Engineering, Actuarial, Economics, Math, or related subject
• Relevant and progressive professional experience in Catastrophe Modeling and Analytics
• Solid analytical and diagnostic skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Proficiency in Excel/SQL/GIS/R/Python preferred
• Experience showing progressive experience in catastrophe risk analytics supporting multiple functional areas of (re)insurance desired, e.g. underwriting support, exposure management, risk management, or R&D.