Data Protection Assistant
We are looking for candidates who will be hard working and conscientious, self-starters with a willingness to learn and an interest in data protection. This role provides an opportunity to become a specialist in a growth area where an interesting and varied career can be built.
Initiation and coordination of record retention requests and searches. Use of the GDPR Case Management and Varonis systems.
Provide administrative support to the wider Data Protection team. Training in data protection will be provided, and in time the successful candidate will be expected to be able to support the Senior Data Protection Analysts in providing accurate, appropriate, timely and pragmatic data protection advice, striking a balance between legal/compliance requirements and the wider interests of the business.
This position will be sitting within the Data Protection Team, within Compliance. This is a Group function covering business in the UK, EU, and US. The team was relatively recently established, and reports into the Board via Data Protection Committees.
Employee Value Proposition
- The successful candidate will be working within a recently established Department facing new and exciting challenges. It is an opportunity to work at all levels of the organization, and to develop varied skills.
- The role provides room for growth, working for a compliance-conscious company that understands the need for and importance of data protection.
- This is a very broad role, which offers support to obtain relevant qualifications, and opportunities for progression.
- Lead on and manage use of the Case Management system
- Lead of and Manage use of the Varonis system
- Configure Tool functionalities
- Coordinate with Data Champions across the business
- Management of in-house IT software
As the role progresses responsibilities will also include:
- Proof-reading of internal policies and procedures
- Ensure that up-to-date versions of policies and procedures are maintained on the intranet
- Assist in the compilation of MI and meeting packs for the Data Protection Committees and the Board
- Maintain the Group’s DPO and ICO registrations
- Research international data protection requirements
- Assist with providing responses to data protection queries
- Monitor and file data protection queries, alongside development and maintenance of an appropriate queries register
- Assist with maintaining the data protection areas of the intranet
- Assist with the maintaining of the logs of Data Subject Access Requests, erasure requests, data breaches and near-misses
- The provision of ad hoc data protection support as required
Skills and Experience Specification:
- A minimum of 1 year of data protection and privacy experience
- CIPP/E, CIPM, ISEB or other privacy certification
- Familiar with GDPR and European data protection requirements
- Basic IT knowledge
- Proactive team player
- Good communication and people skills
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict timescales imposed by legislation and business need
- Good analytical skills
- By the end of their first year, the Data Protection Analyst / GDPR Coordinator will be expected to be able to undertake Record Retention searches and reviews under minimum supervision. They will be providing information, as required, to the company’s Data Champions, and have ensured the ongoing application of the record retention schedule.
- The biggest technical challenge in this role will initially be to learn how to use the record retention software. The biggest ongoing challenge with be learning how to put data minimisation compliance into practice within a commercial environment.
- The work will entail systems maintenance, such as the Varonis and Case Management systems (50%); Research (10%); Admin (10%); Documentation of policies and procedures (10%); Technical data protection (10%); and ad hoc provision of support (10%).
“Tokio Marine HCC is a leading specialty insurance group with offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, Europe, and other locations. With the strength and stability that comes from being a member of the Tokio Marine group, and more than forty years of growth, profitability, and stability, we offer important insurance products that most people do not even know exist.
Just as we invest in our company, we invest in our employees’ careers. We provide our employees a collaborative and rewarding environment within which to gain the knowledge, skills, and experience that lead to a rewarding career. Our products allow our customers to take on opportunity with confidence. In turn, our competitive salaries, attractive benefits, and potential for career growth allow you to take on opportunity with confidence.
The Tokio Marine HCC Group of companies is an equal opportunity employer. Please visit www.tmhcc.com for more information about our companies.