A man traveling on business is forced into a vehicle as he exits his hotel. His company receives demand for payment in exchange for his safe release. The one thing missing behind the action-packed movies with similar facts? The insurance claim under the company’s Kidnap Ransom policy.
If you are an attorney seeking an in-house claims role with an insurance company, we have an exciting opportunity for a Crisis Management Claims Attorney in our Mt. Kisco, NY office.
Tokio Marine HCC - Specialty Group, a member of the Tokio Marine group of companies, is a market leader in providing specialized insurance products for the sports, entertainment and promotional industries. We provide an unmatched portfolio of products including event cancellation, high limit disability, kidnap and ransom, weather, travel, event liability and much more. We cover major sports and entertainment events, professional athletes and entertainers and other unique assets. Tokio Marine HCC Specialty’s Crisis Management Division provides Kidnap & Ransom, Product Contamination, and Restaurant Recovery Insurance, and is currently seeking a motivated, collaborative, experience attorney to join its team as a Claims Attorney.
The Claims Attorney will review, analyze, and determine the extent of the company's exposure or liability for claims reported under Kidnap & Ransom, Product Contamination, and Restaurant Recovery insurance policies.
The Claims Attorney’s role is to investigate. The Claims Attorney is the direct contact for the Insured at the insurance company. The primary focus of the Claims Attorney’s role is to work with the Insured to gather information that supports a claim under a Kidnap & Ransom, Product Contamination, or Restaurant Recovery insurance policy; review that information along with the relevant policy; and work with the Crisis Management Claims Team to make a coverage determination.
The Claims Attorney will be the third member of the Crisis Management Claims Team and will report to the Vice President of Specialty Claims. The Crisis Management Claims Team functions on collaboration, and the successful candidate will need to thrive in a highly collaborative environment. The Crisis Management claims are divided between two Claims Attorneys for day-to-day handling, with regular team meetings to discuss and brainstorm. To be a strong team player, the successful candidate will not be afraid to ask or answer questions and will take an active role in ensuring that our insureds are fully informed of the coverages that each policy provides.
- Gain a significant understanding of coverages: Within the first 30 days, gain a deep understanding of the coverages provided by the Kidnap & Ransom, Product Contamination, and Restaurant Recovery insurance. During this time the Claims Attorney will study each policy and work with the other members of the Crisis Management Claims Team to learn the ins and outs of each coverage and how to apply the policies’ coverages to the facts of any given claim.
- Develop a familiarity with the claims handling process: Within the first 90 days, develop a comfortability with the claims handling procedures throughout the life of a claim, and develop an understanding of the current claims being handled by the Claims Team, such that this person is able to handle claims efficiently, as well as provide claims updates to the underwriting teams and reinsurers. One aspect of this objective will be gaining familiarity with the relationship between claims and underwriting, as well as the relationship between claims and reinsurance.
- Maintain productivity and efficiency: Within the first 6 months, become accustom to the ebbs and flows of the claims process. Due to growth of the business, this person will have a consistently fast-paced workload. The Claims Attorney will work with the Vice President of Specialty Claims to address technical challenges that the team faces. On an ongoing basis, the primary focus of this position should be the efficient management and resolution of all active claims.
Experience & Education
- Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.) degree
- Licensed to practice law in one of the fifty states in the United States of America
- Minimum of two years of relevant legal and/or progressive professional experience in insurance preferred
- Knowledgeable of industry changes, legal updates and technical developments related to applicable area of the Company’s business to proactively respond to changing business environment
- Possess and have ability to apply knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures
- Solid written and verbal communication skills with an emphasis on confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy
- Advanced organizational and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Intermediate proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office Package (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word)
- Spanish speaking preferred
Travel Expectations (if applicable)
- Travel Percentage (10%)
- International travel (5%)
The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies offer a competitive salary and employee benefit package. We are a successful, dynamic organization experiencing rapid growth and are seeking an energetic and confident individual to join our team of professionals. The Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies are equal-opportunity employers. Please visit www.tmhcc.com for more information about our companies.